Author Topic: CSY 33 - Battery Systems  (Read 3353 times)

Jonathan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »
Ok, Dag, I can't get the 'under the L-settee house bank' idea out of my frickin' head.  :P

I've been trying to figure out where to put the starting battery if I put the four 6-volts under the nav station, and I cannot for the life of me come to a decent solution.

Michael Briggs

CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 03:02:38 PM »
I can't answer most of your questions, but regarding what is under the L settee forward: I presume you are talking about the storage/settee just to port of the mast?
That is water tank. It went far enough forward so I could not reach the forward end.

Jonathan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »
I guess that makes sense.

Rhapsody

• View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:53:12 AM »
So I have some questions for you:

The cable from the house bank next to the mast goes from Port to Starboard along the "step" then aft under the setee to the panel.

All 4 four batteries are one single bank.

I could use the house bank to start the engine, but it has never been an issue. If needed I could use the solar panels to give a boost to the start battery by flipping the panel rotary switch to "both". The beauty of having a separate start battery is that you never run it down, use it a few times a day at the most to crank the engine, then while running the 150 amp alternator will charge it back to full capacity in seconds....

Anything below the locker..? You mean under the setee next to the mast? That would be the floor and under the floor is the water tank..Don't remember how far forward the tank goes however...I should know, spent 6 weeks recoating it, square mm by square mm  ::)

Jonathan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 03:19:14 PM »
That makes sense - probably the same length run as would be through the bilge, by the time you get down below the tank and all.

Was planning on same - single large bank.

My intent is to do same and totally isolate the starting circuit, initially echo-charging off the alternator, but eventually I intend to add a higher-output alternator as well as the stock one and letting the stock alternator handle the starter circuit, with the HO alternator charging the house bank.

Additionally, though, I would like to be able to combine in a variety of ways in the name of redundancy: I would like to be able to have the house bank start the boat, and, though probably not necessary, be able to run the main panel off the start battery, all while completely isolating the 'out' battery...  And I think I can pull this off with two additional 1-2-Off switches:

So I think that means I've finally decided on my new electrical system.  If I hadn't broken my toe last night, this would be a perfect day.  :P

Rhapsody

• View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »
Wow, slow down there...

You are going to install TWO alternators?
Have 'em both spin at the same time wearing out 2 sets of bearings instead of just one set?

You are better of using a combiner, or isolator so both the house bank and start battery get charged at the same time..One HO alternator is all ya need.

I keep a spare alternator on the boat, can switch in 15 minuttes..That is plenty redundancy..(Also keep a spare starter on the boat, 30 minuttes to swithc it)

Jonathan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 12:59:12 PM »
Well, I was gonna do that.  :P

Trekka

• View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »
[font=Arial:23yt7pa3]You don't need all those switches. Blue Seas makes a single panel that is all you need. It has the starter battery going full time to starter, and only to starter. The house bank has an off/on to the main panel. And there is a small switch which, when turned, will parallel house and starter batteriers to the starter.[/font:23yt7pa3]

Jonathan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »
Yup, they do; however (and I've only read this rather than experienced it, so it could be wrong, but does make sense to me) if your starter batteryis dead, the house bank is going to do its damnedest to charge the start battery from the instant you parallel them; if the starter battery is truly toast, your house bank may sink below the ability to actually start the engine, in which case you're screwed.

Plus I like switches.  :P

...And being able to run a 'minimal house' off the starting battery means if my house bank (or circuit, really) takes a serious poop, I can still run navigation lights, instrumentation, electronics off the starting bank until I get home/somewhere safe.

...But it is still in design; haven't finalized it yet.  :)

Rhapsody

• View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 06:51:31 PM »
Don't parallel the banks or try to connect them if one bank is shorted out or just dead/down.
That is what proper isolators and rotary switches are for: Keep 'em separated.

The best you can do is to copy a proven system and not trying to re-invent the wheel.

Also, get a digital battery monitor so you know exactly what is going on with juices flowing in and out of the banks. With a minimum of monitoring you will not get any surprises and no need for emergency procedures or to run the house circuit of the start battery.

I was lucky, my 12 volt system was redone under the previous owner and the wireing job was done by a true expert, hence I have had no electrical problems or surprises in the nearly 11 years I have owned the boat.
Instead I have added stuff such as solar panels, a booster , fridge/freezer and other stuff, but the basics are so good so at to be bullet proof...Since you have the same lay-out CSY 33 as mine, feel free to copy what I got instead of trying something new that may or may not work..

Jonathan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »
Yup, that's what I meant, but I must still be sick, so I can't write worth a damn still.  :)

Rhapsody

• View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »
•Did you cover the wires where they ran between settees across the step face, or are they open/visible to the cabin?

No wires or cables are open to the cabin, they run behind the setees up under the shelfs, well supported and well hidden.

•Did you run them up high near the step edge or down the bottom?

High on the forward end of the step and under the "lip"

•What did you use for a battery box?

Jonathan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
Thanks, Dag.

Rhapsody

• View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 08:09:04 PM »
Okay, pics sent, but they weren't too sharp..Used a flash light as it was already dark.
Just so ya get the idea.

Will post pretty pictures later..

Jonathan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CSY 33 - Battery Systems
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »
Thanks!

I see the shot of the wires there running across the step; I'm assuming there's some kind of panel to cover those, right?