Author Topic: My Cooooooool Runnnnnninnnggg Perkins 4-108  (Read 784 times)

Trekka

• View Profile
My Cooooooool Runnnnnninnnggg Perkins 4-108
« on: August 23, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »
Last September a leaking raw water pump started me on a long odyssey of engine refurb. The engine, like so many aged units of its make and model, had been overheating. Badly overheating at 2000rpm and above. Paperwork of the deceased PO indicated he had battled the problem, too. A vapor lock that blocked water flow into the raw water system after an overnighht haul, damaged the raw water pump as it ran dry for several minutes before I noticed the lack of flow. I began rebuilding the raw water pump (a new task for me), and then piece by piece removed all the cooling system hoses and parts from my boats Perkins 4-108. This was not a master plan. Rather one thing led to another which led to another,

Rhapsody

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 01:55:26 AM »
It feels GREAT, after all this time and toil, to have a cooooool running 4-108! (Not a subject header seen very often, huh?)

Where is your location and what is the water temp in your area?

(Did you buy the deep draft 33 in B.C., Canada)

[btw, @ 3000rpm to a 3 blade prop this CSY33 was making 6.9-7.4kts!]

Do you have the specs of your prop? Wide blade like this one, or narrow sailing prop?

The above prop is 16X10.5.

I have been tinkering with various props and pitch angels, increased pitch by a 1/4 inch a couple of times to find the best combo of "tall" gearing and still get full R.P.M. if needed.

Trekka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »
Boat is in Chesapeake and prop is wide blade 16x10.

John Richards

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
Do you have a block heater of some sort?