Author Topic: Windlass height  (Read 63 times)

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Erie Queen
Windlass height
« on: November 14, 2021, 09:07:52 am »
Hello All,

Getting ready to install my freshly rebuilt Simpson Lawrence Seatiger manual windlass on my 44WO. It is new to the boat so trying to figure proper mounting height. I was wondering if anyone has one and how high the gypsy was in relation to the bow roller.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
S/V Erie Queen

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: Windlass height
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 10:09:14 pm »
Hi Mike,

We had a Seatiger 555 on our CSY44 Walkover early on.  It wasn't long before I sold it and bought an electric Lofrans 1200watt Tigres.  Unless you are young and like lots of exercise you will soon tire of the manual windlass.  And it is very slow raising the anchor in an emergency.  But to answer your question see this link and scroll down to the photos under Anchor Locker and Windlass.  There you will see the brown fiberglass mount under the windlass.  We used a small plastic dish pan for the fiberglass mold, filled it with foam and then heavily glassed the bottom.  The SS windlass mounting bolts go through the mount and deck.  It kept the windlass base about 2" off the deck so sea water had a harder time getting to the windlass.  That also gave a nearly 90 degree chain wrap around the windlass chain gypsy.   Give the chain as straight a lead as possible to the gypsy and seal everything with good caulk.  That worked well for us for many years.
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm