Author Topic: Propane locker  (Read 492 times)

Dutchess

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Dutchess
Propane locker
« on: July 16, 2021, 08:48:49 pm »
Hi. I'm soon to have a '77 44 wo. My surveyor tagged the propane locker as non abyc compliant( not top opening or vapor tight) and of course the insurance agrees.I don't close on her till next week so haven't had a chance to study it up close to see if it could be safely remedied with its current design. I've researched just moving it to a dedicated locker on the aft deck at not an insignificant cost. Wondering if anyone else has adressed this and in what way? My forum search turned up a 2011 thread but it seemed to be one of the incomplete ones. She does have an enclosed cockpit and I'm not a big fan of propane(cng on our current boat) so it does cause us some concern. Thanks.

Sean

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: Propane locker
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 03:35:33 am »
Hi Sean and welcome,

We had a 44 WT so maybe a bit different from yours.  Our two propane tanks were in the cockpit combing with tops that opened up and away but took the inboard side with them.  Never had a surveyor question this but they were also sealed from inside the boat.  Would top opening OR vapor tight satisfy the tag or does it have to be both?  If just vapor tight maybe sealing the hose entry to the interior of the boat would fix it.  I would try to not move them as that just makes longer difficult hose runs to the stove.  Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Dutchess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 01:26:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply Dave. Also for your website. I have gone through it extensively on our journey to find the "perfect" boat for us. I am trying to avoid moving it not just to avoid the expense and labor but also to avoid creating further opportunity for system failure. I believe it's the same design, if not exactly the same, with an L shaped lid. I'm guessing the ABYC folks are concerned about vapor leakage on the vertical inboard side, into the cockpit and then down companionway. I would think since the bottom mounted overboard drain would prevent any real pressure build up a decent hatch gasket with a latch would suffice. Not sure the insurance folks will agree.

Sean

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 08:38:30 pm »
Sean,

Agree goal should be not to move lockers.  If requirement is for both top opening AND vapor tight then how about this:
-Seal the locker hose entry to inside the boat.
-Cut the hatch just below the upper corner.  Fasten the inboard hatch side with screws and a good gasket making the lockers top opening and vapor tight below the top.
-Leave the hatch top as is so it swings up and away.  Add an inboard lip if necessary and good gasketing so the hatch seals the locker from rain or salt spray.
-Add a small propane detector/alarm that will alert you if there is a leak in the locker.  There are many options.
-Describe your fix to your insurance company in detail.  If they don't accept it ask how they would like you to fix it.  If no cooperation change insurance companies.

Hope this helps and let us know what happens.   BTW my thinking on some of the older information about our CSY has changed.  I'm happy to answer questions on any of that.
Dave
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 08:40:30 pm by Soggy Paws »
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Dutchess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 08:48:48 am »
Thanks Dave. Another good option and after we get on the boat(this weekend!) I will investigate further. That seems like another logical and practical approach, words not always applicable to insurance.  ;) I'll be sure to post what I end up doing.

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 11:17:07 am »
Sean, When I sailed my WT with the Boyscout Seascout program in the Fl. Keys, the CG inspector had me provide ventilation as LP is heavier than air. I had to drill a 1/2" hole at the base of the compartment to the exterior. I sealed it in with a pvc tube and thickened fiberglass. Didn't want to but the CG demanded it before I could charter for the program.  Wasn't a big project and it turned out fine.
Interestingly, there are 2 LP compartments on the WT and he said that because the other tank was not piped into the system, only stored there, I didn't need to vent that one. Not sure how much sense that made but I didn't argue.
Hope this helps.
Doug

Dutchess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 08:49:17 pm »
Thanks Doug. After getting back to the boat the compartment isn't quite like the walk thru. We've looked at both so I'm guessing the memories blended a bit. Our WO has just a side opening locker bulit into the combing. Both it and its matching locker across the cockpit have drains already installed which the surveyor didn't see. There was about 2 inches of water inside the propane locker so that could be why. I managed to clear the drain but obviously the cover is not vapor tight. Going to at least tighten the cover latch and add a gasket. Banjo is just down the dock from me(another WO) so I'm going to peek at what he has when we make it back to the boat. He says he has a "fire box" inside the locker. Maybe another option. The good news the boat is ours and we're pretty excited and anxious to get back to her!

Sean

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Erie Queen
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 11:11:50 am »
Interesting story to ad to this discussion. We have a 44 WO 1978. It has the propane locker on the port side of the cockpit.

About a month ago a while working on another project we thought we smelled propane. Long story short. I opened the locker and had a slight smell of propane but nothing major, so I shut the tank off and proceeded with the current project. The next morning I opened the locker and turned the tank on. The next thing, I hear a pretty substantial hissing/leak at the regulator. It is a dual regulator with a valve to switch between 2 tanks.

The regulator is about 2 years old and is in fresh water. Sent it back to Xintex for "evaluation" but have not heard back from them as of yet. Purchased a new regulator and installed but keeping a close eye on it.

Bottom line is I have been re-evaluating my drain, seal and latches. Interested to see what others have done
Capt. Mike Zofchak
S/V Erie Queen

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 07:13:09 pm »
Sean,
Last September I wrote up what I did to my propane locker. The drain was clogged also. These are my recommendations.
-remove tanks
-clear drain
-clean out locker
-get rid of any steel tanks because they rust
-caulk around the entire interior shell including where the hose goes thru the bulkhead
-install gaskets on the lid
-caulk winch and cleat that are over the locker
-if the wood over the locker is leaking, caulk that too.
-when you are off the boat, shut the tank off.
Matthew
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:24:15 pm by Matthew Balch »