Author Topic: CSY 37B Chain plates removal  (Read 368 times)

Red Sky

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 37B
  • Boat Name: Red Sky
CSY 37B Chain plates removal
« on: June 20, 2021, 06:04:00 pm »
I have a CSY 37B and want to remove, inspect and replace the Chain Plates! Has anyone removed the Chain plates on the 37? It looks like there is four bolts that run cross wise for the Upper Shroud Chain Plate and the bolt heads must be located behind the rub rail. The Forward and aft lowers are similar and one more that looks like it is behind the lower teak strip under the Cap Rail. Does anybody know if the bolts are removable without tearing the rub rail apart, fiberglass work etc! I tried to remove a couple of the nuts but the bolts just spin. I am pretty sure they were changed before I bought the boat and i have had her for 17 years and she is 42 years old! They look good but they make me nervous!!! Any feedback is appreciated!!!

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Erie Queen
Re: CSY 37B Chain plates removal
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:16 pm »
Hello Red Sky,

I have removed and replace all chain plates on my 44 walkover. On the 44 the bolt heads are behind the bronze rub rail. They can be exposed by removing rub rail and drilling out the filler above the bolt heads without any problem. The top bolt is behind the small teak trim under the cap rail. Again this is on the 44.

FYI: I was suspect as well. I went ahead and removed all with the plan to check and replace if necessary. The first chain plate that I cleaned and used dye penetrant showed a crack immediately. So you can guess what came next...

Please feel free to contact me about the entire process, I am more than happy to share with you.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
S/V Erie Queen

Red Sky

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 37B
  • Boat Name: Red Sky
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 11:06:12 pm »
Mike, Thanks for the reply. Sounds like what I thought. I am pretty sure they are the same on the 44 as the 37! I am glad to here that the bolts are removable without tearing the Rub Rail extrusion apart. I am getting ready to strip and re varnish the Cap Rail so this would be the best time to do the Chain Plates. What is the Dye Penetrant as that sounds like the best way to inspect them after I remove them? Are your Chain Plates welded to a cross piece and if so did you reinstall the new ones the same way? I would be best to not weld them as that can weaken them etc!

STUART MEYERS
S/Y RED SKY

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Erie Queen
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 08:39:23 am »
Stuart, Dye penetrant is 3 part spray test. Very simple to do and I believe I purchased the kit from amazon. I had the new chain plates made from one piece rather then the welded extension from the factory. I have drawings from my fabricator if you would like to see them.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
S/V Erie Queen