Author Topic: CSY33 - Water Tank(s)?  (Read 263 times)

CSY33inCT

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: Tir Na nOg
CSY33 - Water Tank(s)?
« on: December 10, 2020, 02:57:16 pm »
I've been unable to locate any schematics or diagrams for the water tank(s) system on my CSY 33 here in Connecticut.  I've heard anecdotally that there may be a tank which extends down into the keel, but so far I haven't been able to locate any actual diagrams (including in the DropBox which - to my eyes - doesn't seem to contain much information on 33's at all). 

I know I've got one fairly large freshwater tank just aft of the mast (with an access plate in the cabin sole between the salon table and the mast) but am unclear on any other tanks - let me know if anyone's got blueprints or a drawing - or even a written description in response to this post would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks so much!

Rhapsody

• View Profile
Re: CSY33 - Water Tank(s)?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 10:47:35 am »
The CSY 33s had two different tank configurations, possibly because of shallow or deep draft, or for some other reasons.
On my boat the fresh water tank was under the cabin sole and had 3 inspection plates, 1 large plate just aft of the table, and 2 smaller plates forward. The capacity was 153 gallons.
The tank’s inside gelcoat would blister and give the water a foul smell and taste. I ended up sanding the inside of the tank, cleaning with acetone and coated it with West System epoxy as it was “food grade”.
The whole operation took 6 weeks.. ::)

Cap'n Steve

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: Rhapsody
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 12:22:41 pm »
Dag, do you know why someone put bladders in the tanks?  My son has the boat now that was formerly the Rhapsody and the bladders are poorly vented/non vented and cause all manner of problems, including horrible tasting water.  Tastes like the water that sat in a hot garden hose for a few days!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:00:23 pm by Cap'n Steve »

Rhapsody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 10:49:29 pm »
I heard the second owner, after I sold the boat installed the bladders because the inside of the water tank had deteriorated
to the point of the water being unusable.
Don’t remember the details, but perhaps the tank can be recoated on the inside?
I did it once, took me 6 week with sanding, cleaning, more sanding and cleaning, etc., then I coated it with West System epoxy, I was told it was food grade safe after it cured.
Worked for me 5-6 years until I sold the boat, then another 4-5 years after I sold it before the bladder tanks was installed.