Author Topic: Dodger  (Read 40 times)

SVEvie

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Evie
Dodger
« on: November 15, 2020, 04:35:05 pm »
Our CSY 44 WO does not have a dodger.  I don't see a topic discussion on dodger so posted in Interior hoping someone can help us or better direct this question. Does anyone have measurements or photos of their dodger that they would like to share?  We have a small bimini only which won't cut it on longer crossings.  Any info would be much appreciated, cheers!

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: Dodger
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 05:58:36 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum!

We documented our upgrade to a hard dodger a few years ago, and can attest to the fact that it made an amazing difference in both our underway and our at anchor comfort.  it was like adding on a new sunroom to our house.

You can find our info here:
http://svsoggypaws.com/csy/cockpit.htm

Dave designed the frame, gave the sketch to a shop that made fly bridges for fishing boats, and they did a pretty competent job.  Then he got quotes from 3 different canvas shops, specifying every detail.  And 10 years later it was still keeping us dry and happy.  The use of the Tenara thread was important, as I never had to re-stitch the dodger.  A few zippers broke (the metal feet don't hold up well, so take extras--both extra feet and extra zippers of the appropriate length, if you are going long range cruising--even if you don't sew, you can always find another cruiser, or someone ashore, to make repairs, if you have the  critical items that are not usually availalee in remote places).

If you DO sew, there's a great Facebook Group called Sewing on Boats, and also checkout the "how to" videos on Sailrite.com (they have a Youtube channel and their vids are excellent).

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

SVEvie

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Evie
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 06:20:15 pm »
Wow, thank you So much!  This is very helpful!  I love the idea of a hard dodger.  I will definitely check it all out. I am aware of Sailrite so I'll see what they say as well. Honestly I'm not much of a sewer- my husband is much better than me but there's always hope:).  Thanks again!

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 10:46:35 pm »
Our boat was a Walkthrough so dimensions and landing points for the hard dodger supports will be different.  Anodized aluminum is plenty strong, light weight and will retain its luster much better than mill finish.  The hard dodger was designed to remain up in a Cat 1 or 2 hurricane providing the boat is not in an open roadstead exposed to significant wave action.  Half inch expanded PVC works very well for the top.  Light weight, easily worked with woodworking tools, no additional fabrication required and no rain leaks.  Just a day's work to cut and install.  Paint when you get a chance.
Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm