Author Topic: measures of the mast  (Read 269 times)

Erik

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: DOMINOS TAWASSA
measures of the mast
« on: November 02, 2020, 05:30:05 pm »
Does any one know the dimensions of the mast. On a CSY 44 WO. I have a sheet that shows its supposed to be 11in x 7 inx .188 thick and 56.4 tall. I also seen comments that it was a Kenyon mast . I called Kenyon and they said thats way to big. Boat didn't come with the mast. But keel step plate on boat is 5.5in x 9.5in rectangle is that to small . I have a 60ft 5.5in x 9.5in mast that fits the keel step. would this work . any help is appreciated

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: measures of the mast
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 11:02:47 pm »
Hi Erik,

You can download some info I have saved on our website--the link to it is in this thread:

http://csyowners.com/forums/index.php?topic=6195

One of the posts in there gives specifics about the Kenyon mast section part number, which may help you call Kenyon to see if the the mast you are looking at meets the original specs.

There are also some drawings, which may be of use, but in a quick look, I did not see actual dimensions of the spar--just placement of the fittings on the mast and boom.

The CSY Guide to Buying a Yacht (pdf file) also has a discussion from CSY talking about mast strength and type of metal, etc.

You can download that here: 
http://svsoggypaws.com/files/CSY/CSY_Guide_to_Buying_a_Yacht.pdf

I hope this helps!

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

SVEvie

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Evie
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 11:38:20 am »
We are also looking for a circumference of our mast which is the original. She's a 1978 WO model.  We are trying to purchase a radar mount for our SITEX radar but it appears we need mast circumference.  I've scanned the previous thread and don't see that listed.  Thanks in advance!

SueDarrin

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Moonstar
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 08:07:30 pm »
Hi there Erik,  my mast is on the ground so i can measure and send photos for you if that helps.  i have a CSY44wo built in 1980 the hill number is 198

Erik

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: DOMINOS TAWASSA
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 09:32:15 am »
Hi Sue Darrin
  I would greatly appreciate that. Mine is hull # 196. You can send to midevilaxe@yahoo.com . If you can . I am needing to to get as much info and pictures I can. I am doing a restoration The boat was stripped before I purchased it . So figuring where everything was placed and what was needed is a challenge. Especially since I am new to sailing . But a great challenge . Thanks again

SueDarrin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 05:37:02 pm »
Hi Erik,  i am in the exact same position - CSY44wo in 1,000,000 pieces.  and i am new to sailing.

Ok i will do the mast for you - sounds like your boat and mine were  produced at the same time. 

My salon was  stripped out  as well as all electrical wires, rigging, steering engine gearbox ect ect. 

i have learned a lot - any questions?

i have one for you - the previous owner cut the winches off the mast the CSY owners manual (find one if you dont have one) specifies the winches as Lewmar 16 but these are $700 each.  i can get two Lewmar 40 for 400 which are 20mm larger in diameter i dont think this is a problem but may simply look stupid.

Do you have a propeller?  i went through the agony of determining the prop size etc so can help.  i landed up with a 22' folding prop but could have had a 24' if i had the knowledge 2 months earlier.

i am forward thinking what i need and buying second hand.

Cockpit drainage was a challenge.

If you are re-doing the skin fittings i would suggest that the engine room ones  are moved away from the center of the walkway either side of the stringers

This is my boat before the previous guy took a chainsaw to the salon.

Cheers Darrin

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Erie Queen
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 10:49:55 am »
Hello Sue & Erik,

I just finished a 10 year refit on my CSY 44 walkover. I have the mast winches as I found some self tailing to replace them with. I will be happy to donate them to your cause. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I have a bit of experience as I have rebuilt practically every inch of mine as well.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
S/V Erie Queen

SueDarrin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 07:34:52 pm »
Morning Mike, 

I would appreciate the winches as I am coming up blank trying to find a reasonable replacement - apart from buying new.  If you can estimate the postage I could send you the cost.  my email is darrinwells19@gmail.com.

I did find two Lewma 40's at a reasonable price but worry that they are too big.  The base is 145mm while the base of the 15 is 128mm .  I dont suppose that the size really matters except that they should fit and not look wrong and one is aware of the force being applied by a larger winch.

I am aiming to launch at the end of february

Regards
Darrin

SueDarrin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 07:45:28 pm »
Hi Erick

I have the following measurements for you

1 mast overall length 17150mm