Author Topic: Mast boot  (Read 90 times)

SVEvie

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Evie
Mast boot
« on: December 28, 2020, 06:31:34 pm »
Our CSY 44' WO has a leaky mast boot. Any tips on replacing this?  Thanks in advance.

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Re: Mast boot
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:40:42 am »
There's a number of different ways to do this, especially depending upon what's there already.  A couple weeks ago, I renewed mine.  I wrap rubber from a vehicle inner tube to cover the mast/deck joint, held in place with duct tape. Then make up a sunbrella cover for that to keep the sun off the rubber. This will be good for several years.  You may still find some rain water running down the mast internally from the halyards, and I haven't found a way to stop that yet.  If you find out, please let me know.

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 08:45:00 pm »
We used a product similar to Spartite (sold in Marine stores to seal the mast/deck joint), but available for less at Walmart.  We did this during a layover in Ecuador in late 2009, just before crossing the Pacific.  We sold our CSY in the Philippines, and other than a little seepage during heavy rains from inside the mast, never had a problem again.  Details here:

http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/rig.htm#mast_boot_seal

Hope this helps!  Whatever you use, if it has rubber, needs to be protected from the sun.  I sewed a sunbrella cover, and we used a very large (or two together) hose clamp to clamp it around the mast (make sure the SS clamp doesn't touch your alu mast).

Good luck!

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

SVEvie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 07:41:05 am »
This is great. Thanks. We are heading back to Evie in Feb '21. She is currently located in Chiapas, Mexico. We sailed from Mazatlan at the end of '19 but she's been sitting on the hard for a year because of COVID. We are hoping everything is ok and we'll make it to the east coast of North America for summer '21. We are currently making preparations and have many many questions. Really appreciate the help.

@matthew - If we find a solution to water seepage via the halyards, I'll let you know. There is a ton of noise coming from inside our mast. Noise isn't top of list yet but at some point I hope to tackle this which will present an opportunity to consider how to keep water out of the mast as well.

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Erie Queen
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 10:31:04 am »
Good Day,

I just installed my mast last summer for the first time. I used a product called Tommy Tape 4' x 10'. It is like a self bonding rescue tape for masts. I used two rolls and it has not leaked a drop. Covered with a Sunbrella cover.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RNMXJ96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Capt. Mike Zofchak
S/V Erie Queen

SVEvie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 11:31:23 am »
Thank you very much, we'll look into it.