Author Topic: CSY 33 Henrietta - Formerly Rhapsody/Sass Sea  (Read 283 times)

Cap'n Steve

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: Rhapsody
CSY 33 Henrietta - Formerly Rhapsody/Sass Sea
« on: July 31, 2020, 03:17:06 pm »
The Henrietta, formerly the Rhapsody and briefly Sass Sea, has a new home on Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans, LA.

My son and I brought her from Vero Beach, FL down to Stuart and then across the Okeechobee Waterway and then up to North of Tampa to John's Pass.  At John's pass we headed out into the Gulf of Mexico.  Our original plan was to head directly to Pensacola, but as luck (and a faulty NWS forcast predicting a SW wind) the NW wind hindered us from taking that course because the wind was blowing too close off of the bow and the exact direction we needed to go and we didn't want to motor the whole way.  We decided to head towards Carabelle Pass, which still put us pretty close off the bow, but we did finally get some use out of the sails, at least for a while.  As most of y'all probably know, these boats don't perform worth a flip close hauled and we ended up running the engine most of the way across anyway. 

About 70 miles out of John's pass and almost at the 1/2 way point, we got slammed by one heck of an unforecasted storm that hit us about 11pm at night.  The NWS forecasts aren't worth a flip since they lost most of the weather buoy's in the Gulf of Mexico to Hurricane Michael.  They had forecast for days a SW wind at 8-10 kts and 1-3' seas. It was easily 3-5' when we went out at John's pass but bearable. 

We ended up testing the boat out really well that night and I can say without a doubt, she's a beast!  We ended up with 35-40 kt winds and 8-10' seas at one point.  How we didn't suffer a lightning strike I'll never know as we had cloud to water lightning striking within 1500-1800' away for about a 20 minute period.  We really got pounded that night but came out the other side safe and sound.  Not one leak to the inside of the boat and we had plenty of water on her!

We came into Carabelle just before midnight the next evening and got some rest.  Next morning we made it to Appalachicola and tied up at the City Docks to wait for my son's girlfriend to relieve me.  They brought her the rest of the way to Pensacola over the next few days.

After a 5 day stopover and a free quick up and down haul out to inspect the hull at Our family's marina, Pelican's Perch Marina in Pensacola, it's safe and sound in it's new home of New Orleans, LA.

Boat has been renamed the Henrietta.  I have no idea where the name came from and every time I ask my son, he just tells me it's an inside joke between him and his girlfriend.

I attached a picture of the boat hanging in the slings at Pelican's Perch. Brown staining on the bow is from all of the tannin in the Lake Okeechobee waterway.

I'm hoping my son will get on here and post some more about the trip.

Glad to meet everyone!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:22:55 pm by Capn_Steve »

Cap'n Steve

• View Profile
Re: CSY 33 Henrietta - Formerly Rhapsody/Sass Sea
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 03:51:24 pm »
Oh, and to either Dag or Capt. Rick:

Those mid-ship cleats are AWESOME!    I can't imagine try to secure her to a fixed dock without them!

Cap'n Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 04:13:26 pm »
I'm going to post some photos and stories about our trip here over the next few days.  Here is one to start. 

If you ever wondered if a standard mast 33 CSY with a 5.7' draft will fit under the Port Mayaca RR Bridge in the St Lucie Canal, it will but just barely at a 16.25 pool and 6.24 navigational depth.  We had about 4-6" to spare!

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 06:40:34 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the update.  It's really nice to hear what's happening with our boats.  Sounds like you had quite an adventure on that trip!

Isn't it wonderful to really wring a new boat out and find it up to whatever you throw at it.  My husband Dave used to say about Soggy Paws (CSY 44 WT) that the boat could take more than the crew could.

Hope you and your son have a ball on Henrietta.

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/