Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 116 times)

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
Insurance
« on: March 29, 2020, 12:11:14 PM »
I have collision and liability insurance( No hurricane ) on a 44 W/O with Markel American through USAA. Fourteen years, no claims. The annual renewal is up 50%. Over $2200 for basic coverage. Can't spend that much any more. We will self insure with liability only. Hard to find coverage for these 40 yr old boats.
I would like to know what you owners have for insurance and if you are happy. I haven't checked Geico or Progressive yet. I thought the members on the Net would have some advice. Would appreciate any information.

Jules W/O Dragon Lady

svsurprise

• View Profile
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 06:56:54 AM »
I obtained my insurance from Wade Dunbar Ins Agency in Oriental NC and the policy is underwritten by Maritime Program Group (or at least that's where the checks go).  My policy is about $1300/yr on $90K valuation of the boat.  This covers me for the east coast and Bahamas with limitations on how far south I can go during hurricane season.  I've had one small claim due to a lightening strike on a neighboring boat and they covered it with no problems.

I hope this helps,
Don

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
Re: Insurance
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 12:13:49 PM »
Thanks, Don.
Got a quote from Markel for liability only for $700 . Tired of being insurance poor. Checking with your company and others. Will let you know what I find.
Jules