Author Topic: Replacing the Prop Shaft on a 33  (Read 45 times)

deLight

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: deLight
Replacing the Prop Shaft on a 33
« on: February 06, 2020, 01:05:44 PM »
My prop shaft, cutlass bearing, etc. needs replacing. I am in North Africa with the boat in the water. I would like to know all of the parts - shaft, cutlass bearing, tube, stuffing box, whatever parts that may need replacing. So I can get the parts in advance and not be out of the water for months waiting for needed parts. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Max

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Re: Replacing the Prop Shaft on a 33
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:55:11 AM »
Hi Max, I replaced the shaft, flexible coupling and cutless bearing on my previous boat.   I reconditioned the bronze stuffing box, it was fine, but replaced its rubber hose and hose clamps.  The bronze shaft log pipe stayed in.
You will probably need some tools.  A sawsall to cut the cutless bearing out, a micrometer to measure the inner diameter of the shaft log.  This is critical, since the outer diameter of the cutless bearing will need to be machined down so that you can freeze it and gently tap it in for a very tight fit.  Put everything back together and realign the engine with feeler guage, best done after you splash as the hull takes a slightly different shape when it's blocked on the hard. So it would be good to check the condition of your engine mounts beforehand.  Mine were worn out and rusty, as it was an old boat, and they needed replacing, too.
Hope this helps.  Some other members with specific information on your boat may be able to provide better guidance.
Matthew

deLight

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: deLight
Re: Replacing the Prop Shaft on a 33
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »
Thanks Mathew,

I am really hoping someone can supply me with a detailed parts list. So I can secure all parts in advance. Otherwise, I face potentially months on the hard trying to get parts into North Africa. I would much rather have parts that I do not need than parts that I need and do not have.

I know the shaft and cutlass bearing need replacing. The shaft is 1 1/4" diameter with length unknown. The cutlass bearing is described in a post for the '37 as 2" long. I expect it is the same on the '33. There is some sort of shaft tube and packing nut (bronze stuffing box & log pipe) in the boat interior. Its type, length are unknown.

Any help on identifying these parts in advance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Max