Author Topic: Fuel tank access hatches and Permatex  (Read 735 times)

Brett

• View Profile
    • www.learntoliveaboard.com
  • Boat Type: 1979 CSY 44' WO
  • Boat Name: Kitty Hawk
Fuel tank access hatches and Permatex
« on: August 06, 2019, 10:59:30 am »
During a recent trip to Cuba we experienced an issue with our fuel supply.  In 2015 when we discovered a boatyard had failed to clean our Racors and replace the filters (which they were paid to do and I had to do) we began having a fuel supply issue that would either cause one tank to drain while the other stayed full or clog the pickup and stall the engine. During a fuel polishing I discovered that there were small reddish orange blobs in the fuel which turned out to be Permatex sealant.  I was concerned that the silicone was coming from some undisclosed leak that had been sealed with this product.  Fortunately, it was coming from the access hatches which were sealed down with permatex.  As our tanks are replacement tanks the hatches are semi easy to reach through the helm seat. I purchased some Buna-N gasket material on Amazon for $14 a square and made some custom gaskets for the hatches. I had been told the material was prohibitively expensive and that was why the sealant had been used but it must have become cheaper over the last few years.  So, if you have some of this sealant used in your fuel system be sure and get rid of it.....

Brett

• View Profile
    • www.learntoliveaboard.com
  • Boat Type: 1979 CSY 44' WO
  • Boat Name: Kitty Hawk
Re: Fuel tank access hatches and Permatex
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 11:17:54 am »
It looked like a pretty clean install from outside.....not so much from inside....and the new gasket