Author Topic: Perkins Engine Identification  (Read 2932 times)

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
Perkins Engine Identification
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »
Quote from: Dave McCampbell
Paul/Peter,

The old style N American version 4-154 does not have a compression release.    The newer style engines-Japanese version and/or the Prima M60- may have one. 

Dave,

This may explain why some Perkins parts suppliers have a hard time (or impossible time) looking up my engine number.

Do you know any other differences in the Japanese version? Any suggestions on how I can tell what type of engine my Perkins is? Someone had told me that the Japanese engines all started with a "J" my model number is GA00271N40406G

(Perhaps we should make a new thread out of this discussion)

Peter
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:30:44 PM by Soggy Geek »
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:23:35 PM »
Peter,

The black knob on your binnacle that you pull up to stop the engine is the fuel cut off for the injection pump.  I have the same.  It is not a compression release.  It must be down in order to start the engine as no fuel will get through the injection pump if it is up.  If the engine turns over but won't start look at that first.  Also, it is worth carrying a spare cable for this and the throttle.  They are commonly available Morse cables.  You need to know the length and what end fittings you have.

I looked up your engine number and you have a 4154 (GA), built in USA (N) and 1980 model (G).  The first set of numbers are used to ID parts and the second set is the serial number of the engine.  If you look at your engine and the air filter and intake manifold are on the port side, you have the old style NA engine.  It looks like your engine is the same as mine.  This info is in the engine Operating Manual.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:31:49 PM by Soggy Geek »
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Peter Rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:06:46 AM »
Dave,

I have on my computer at home a one page document I got from somewhere that is used to identify the Perkins engines and what each part of the number indicates.  It is a nice and easy to read document.  You might have the same thing from reading your post.  However, I am wondering if we this would be helpful to add to this site.  I don't know how we store items like this other than to link to outside sites.  If that is the only way I can add it to my blog, but it seems that a central storage place on the main site for across the fleet reference might be a good idea.  Let me know.

Hi Peter,  I guess the fuel shut off discussion clears all this up.  It appears that only the Japan version has the pressure release.

Let me know how your valve adjustment worked out.

Paul
Peter Rabbit
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:32:51 PM by Soggy Geek »

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:11:34 AM »
Hi Paul,

I used the info in my Operating manual to ID the engine.  Sherry and I think it is a great idea to include your ID page here on the website.  If you will send it to us by email as an attachment, Sherry will get it onto the website for all to use.

If you, or anyone else, have anything more like that, engine or otherwise, you want to share just let us know and send it along by email.

Thanks,
Dave
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:33:31 PM by Soggy Geek »
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »
Thanks - I will play with the valves the end of this week. Perhaps the engine number will help the distributor to find my valve gasket.

I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »
Paul Barbour sent me the Perkins Engine Codes guide he got off the internet.  I posted it here:

http://svsoggypaws.com/files/#perkins

This might help you.

Sherry
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:25:59 PM by Soggy Geek »
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Charles E Berry

• Maltese Kross
    • View Profile
    • www.americanlinkage.com
  • Boat Type: CSY 37
  • Boat Name: Maltese Kross
Re: Perkins Engine Identification
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 03:46:52 AM »
I need a perkins 4-108 wrere is the best place to find one Chuck
Charles E Berry⚓️