Author Topic: Aft Cabin Bulkhead Remodel - CSY 44 WT  (Read 52 times)

searunner

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Rendezvous
Aft Cabin Bulkhead Remodel - CSY 44 WT
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »
Water intrusion from the aft deck lazarette damaged portions of the thin plywood aft cabin bulkhead, so I removed the damaged veneer, examined repair options and decided on tile.  The challenges associated with tiling include (1) curved vertical surface, (2) bulkhead subject to flexing & (3) edge trim installation would be required to prevent permanent adhesion of grout to the removable teak trim strips.  Project took some time & patience, but results were quite satisfying and it significantly improved the overall appearance of the aft cabin.

Materials list:
•   Bedrosians Acadia Mosaic Islesford ¾”Copper Rounds
•   Schluter Schiene-Radius stainless steel 5/16” edge trim
•   Bostik Ultra-Set Advanced Adhesive (also serves as waterproof membrane)
•   Bostik TruColor RapidCure Urethane Grout (color:  Jamoca)

Annotated photos of the project are posted in the CSY Dropbox folder:  CSY 44 Projects and info / Stern Cabin Mods / Aft Cabin Bulkhead Remodel - Rendezvous

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
Re: Aft Cabin Bulkhead Remodel - CSY 44 WT
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »
Searunner, I had the same issue on my WT and I too want to use a different finish for the aft bulkhead. Your finished project looks great. Were you able to locate the original leak? Mine was just a bad seal on the starboard portlight. It is hard to tell from the pictures but did you take all the plywood and stringers out down to the fiberglass?
Doug

searunner

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Rendezvous
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »
Doug,

The origin of my leak was through the aft deck lazarette.  The hoses that drain the lazarette gutter were deteriorated, did not extend past the stern exit holes & the silicon sealer at the stern around the hoses was in poor shape causing water accumulation and intrusion.  I also had a couple of pinholes about a half inch from the bottom of the gutter which allowed seepage into the lazarette when the gutter filled.  It is amazing how fast water in the gutter accumulates during a rainstorm.  The port hinge on the lazarette was also leaking, but that was a quick rebedding job.  Lastly, I put some additional epoxy inside the base of the small stern lazarette drain holes and forward a couple of inches in the bottom of the lazarette to insure a smooth water exit in the event there is future water leakage into the inside of the lazarette.

I did not want to remove or re-veneer the damaged aft bulkhead plywood because it passes under the 3 aft portholes and aft stay bolts.  Additionally, like you, I was looking for an alternative, more attractive surface.  After sanding off the water damaged veneer and plywood areas, I filled any low areas with thickened West System epoxy and prepared the entire surface with 2 coats of epoxy, followed by rough sanding to ensure good adhesion for the tile.  I chose the adhesive & grout after extensive research because of the need to ensure it would withstand some flexing of the bulkhead and for the tile selection, since the copper rounds are only 3/4" diameter, they would conform to the curved surface.  One box (11 sheets) of the tile was sufficient for coverage (with just over a sheet left over) and weighs less than 25 pounds total per box.  The stainless steel edge trim was somewhat challenging because it, of course, does not bend or drill easily and I had to drill an extra screw hole in a few of the trim flanges to pull the stainless steel flush against the bulkhead where it was particularly concave.

Hope this helps,
Roy   

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 10:37:51 PM »
Roy,
Thanks for the info. I certainly understand the reluctance to removing the plywood down to fiberglass because of the portlights. It would make the project much more difficult. Not sure which way I'll deal with it but I'm in no real rush, waiting for cooler weather in the fall.
Doug