Author Topic: cleaning the bilge  (Read 61 times)

sassea

• View Profile
cleaning the bilge
« on: June 21, 2019, 05:55:19 PM »
The sooner I get to taking my CSY 33 for a sail the more little things concern me. My bilge has about 1 -2 inches of dirty oily water in the bottom. There are 3 different size pumps. The pumps and hose configurations that pass through the bilge area make it difficult to get a sponge down there to soak up the nasty fluid. I know a little water is considered normal. Still, on this 40 year old boat it seems time to get the yuk out.

I put a one inch thick sponge on the end of a grabber. That works but it is a long process as the sponge can only soak up a tiny, tiny bit at a time. The bilge is 47 inches deep so no way my arm can reach down there. I'm afraid to try my small 12 v wet/dry vac because the nasty water might forever stay in the hose....Any ideas????

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: cleaning the bilge
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
Hi Marlene.  Ahhh the joys of boat ownership, especially those CSYs with the deep bilges.  I pulled a  butket full out of our 44 bilge after I bought it.  Of course it is easier if you don't have all those bilge pumps in the way.  While you are at it it might be worthwhile to remove them, clean them up, replace the hose clamps and test the float switches.  Good insurance.  I used a dock fresh water hose with good pressure, lots of commercial grade bilge cleaner and a brush on a long handle.  Multiple applications will get most of it out.  Then the fun part is getting your torso down into the bilge with a brush and rag to get the remaining slime off the walls and bottom.  If you are really anal you will clean it up real good, patch any screw holes and then paint it with a good bilge paint or better, multiple coats of epoxy and then the paint.  Your reward will be a shiny bright bilge, bilge pumps you can rely on and you are ready for white gloves inspection.  An agile male friend might be of some help with this project.  Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »
Thought about a plastic dinghy pump (the long grey ones with a red handle with a corrugated exit hose you could put into a tray).  Then as Dave says, flush with fresh water and soap until it's mostly clean.

Dave has an article on our CSY Workshop pages that may explain the multiple bilge pumps.

http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/plumbingsystems.htm#bilgepumps

Good luck!
Sherry

Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Chip

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Chip
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 07:58:35 AM »
I bought a small diaphragm pump on e-bay for $5 and pump any residual into the shower box. It doesn't pump very fast but it is self priming so I can get out the inch of water that the regular pumps don't.  Keeping the bilge essentially dry has made a huge difference in the amount of sludge.