Author Topic: Gear Ratio  (Read 303 times)

Floydmiami

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44
  • Boat Name: Eden
Gear Ratio
« on: April 16, 2019, 01:00:52 AM »
New to the forum,just purchased a fixer upper.Loved the CSY 44 for years,from a distance.What model and gear ratio was the velvet drive typical with the 4-154 in the csy44. Thank you

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Re: Gear Ratio
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 07:44:57 AM »
Hi Floyd, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.  The best way to determine the reduction ratio and model is to look for a small plate that was attached to the top of the tranny.  It may be hiding under a layer of paint, but it will have all the specifics pertaining to yours.  Matthew

Floydmiami

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 09:12:53 AM »
Thanks,but I'm a1000 miles away for the next couple of months.hoping to get a reply with the gear ratio used for the 4-154 so that I can pick one up and rebuild it before I return to the boat

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »
Floyd,
I don't think it will be that easy.  Are you a straight drive or a v drive?  Those might be different from CSY 44 WO to CSY 44 WT.  Is it the original 40 year old tranny you are replacing/rebuilding?  Are you on the original propeller or a new one?  This too could make a difference in performance under power.

My Borg Warner Velvet Drive shop manual shows two reduction ratios.  2.57:1 and 2.91:1.  It also shows a "new type" and an "old type".  So you should really get someone to record the information off your serial number plate.

My tranny, which is direct drive, shows the following specifications on the plate:  Ratio 2.91:1,  Model 1017-014, Serial #TS-10695.  It is attached to a much newer Japaneese Perkins 4-154.  These numbers may not work for you.  Caveat emptor.
Matthew

Floydmiami

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 01:28:45 PM »
Thank you Matthew, you are partly responsible for this madness of my fixing up this boat.i used to drive the pirate duck tour in miami beach 2-3 times a day by your boat chilly pepper and admire it.

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »
Thanks, Floyd.  If your CSY is in Miami, feel free to drop by and we may be able to share more information.  Otherwise we can do it here on the forum.  There's a lot of really experienced folks here who can help with advice on your refit.
Perhaps another owner with a Perkins 4-154 can verify the model and reduction ratio and that would help you narrow it down.

Floydmiami

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 02:23:37 PM »
Thanks Matthew its in the Virgin Islands and I'm in Key West but I'll spend about 3 months refitting then Who knows eventually end up back in Miami

david334

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 Walkover
  • Boat Name: Wave cutter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »
HEY Matthew, My name is Agostino Scanu, Im an owner of a CSY 44 prototype, Owned it for almost 2 years now. It was built in 1976 by Irwin and the hull number starts with CSY. The boat looks exactly like the walk over fleets. Im curious you are in miami with a Walk over? Im by peanut island moored in palm beach. Any way I can come check out your boat for reference as our boat is completely gutted. We thought it was a good idea to start from scratch...... BAD IDEA! Or can you give me more information on my boat? My phone number is (561)901-8416 THANK YOU in advance or email me at agostinoscanu95@gmail

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 04:23:52 PM »
Agostino, sounds good, email sent.