Author Topic: GS CSY 42 CC?  (Read 212 times)

decarabas

• View Profile
GS CSY 42 CC?
« on: April 12, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »
Hello all. New to the forum and just to be clear I do not yet own a CSY but I am doing my best to remedy that. I've run into a little confusion and it has led me here. I found a "1987 Gulfstar CSY 42CC Walkover" according to the seller but the more I research this the more confused I get. I see 44' for the most part but every once in awhile I see a 42. So I guess what I was hoping to learn here is this:

Is the 42 actually a 44?
Is the above mentioned really a CSY?
Does anyone have one that they would like to tell me about?

I have fallen in love with this boat but I don't want to go in blind.

Thanks for any info :)

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: GS CSY 42 CC?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 06:00:11 PM »
Hi, I understand your confusion.  When CSY decided to build boats specifically for their booming charter business, they first contracted the building of the boats out to someone else.  But when the owner of Caribbean Sailing Yachts inspected the first boats, he thought the quality was shoddy, and determined that the only way he was going to get a proper boat that he envisioned would be to build it himself.  So unless it is actually a CSY 44 built by the CSY corporation (and they can give you the serial number to prove it), I wouldn't go for it.  Anything else won't be CSY quality.

My husband thinks it wasn't Gulfstar that was contracted, but some other fairly reputable company at the time.  And I don't know about 42 vs 44.  (edit) But it may be that the CSY charter company bought a few Gulfstars early on and used them in their charter business.  I don't know.

Good luck,
Sherry
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:03:24 PM by Soggy Geek »
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

decarabas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 12:43:11 PM »
I appreciate the reply  :)

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
CSY stopped building boats in 1980 - 1981, so the 1987 vessel you are looking at is definitely not built by CSY.  As Sherry noted, it may have been part of their charter fleet, tho.

decarabas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »
Thank you Matthew