Author Topic: Battery Power Tools  (Read 89 times)

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Battery Power Tools
« on: September 22, 2018, 06:24:43 PM »
Hi Members,
Back when I was cruising in the Caribbean many years ago, I used hand tools to do all the jobs.  Now you have the options of using shore power if you are at a dock or an inverter if you are anchored.  Nowadays, I am at a dock but we are on solar power only with no hookup to shore power.
I have purchased a number of Ryobi 18 volt one + appliances that work very well around the boat and home.  These pieces of equipment can be purchased cheap on Amazon, but the batteries are more expensive.  The same batteries are good for all the one + labels.
For example, I have a Cockpit fan to cool the wife off on these summer days.  I have a vacuum cleaner that picks up all the hair and dust in the cabins.  I have a LED flashlight that replaces all those old standard flashlights that go bad over time. I have a sander that's good for small jobs and a drill that's good for most of the day.
If interested, i would recommend l that you invest in some extra batteries, especially the 4 AH ones so you get extended time on these tools.
I also have other of these tools around the house that use the same batteries:  weed wacker, leaf blower, nail gun, etc.
I have no interest in the company, but I am a very satisfied customer and wanted to share this experience with you.
Matthew

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
Re: Battery Power Tools
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
I forgot to ask a question too.  Has anyone found a transformer that can convert the 12V to 18V?  This would be great for me since I would not need to recharge these batteries on shore power or from the inverter on the boat.  Thanks, Matthew

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
Re: Battery Power Tools
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »
I found the answer to my question about recharging the batteries for these tools.  Ryobi makes a "car charger" that plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet.  Problem solved!