Author Topic: Exhaust Elbow - 4107 Westerbeke  (Read 128 times)

Peter Hibbard

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY37B #006
  • Boat Name: JAZZ
Exhaust Elbow - 4107 Westerbeke
« on: August 25, 2018, 12:43:10 PM »
Looking for others experience that have replaced their exhaust elbow.  Mine is wearing through with slight leak and needs to be replaced. I see there are Aluminum, Steel, Stainless Steel and even fiberglass options for materials available.  Any recommended sources for these?

Thanks...Peter..../).... 

svsurprise

• View Profile
Re: Exhaust Elbow - 4107 Westerbeke
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
Peter, My aluminum elbow was also showing a slight leak so I had a machinist in Beaufort NC make up a stainless exhaust elbow for my 4236.  I think it was about $200 which was much cheaper than the other options I found.
Don

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »
Hi Peter, I had a W 4-107 on my prior boat.  It had an exhaust elbow made up of galvanized pipe, the type you can find at a hardware store.  When it finally rusted out, I replaced it with bronze pipe of the same type.  Where the raw water gets injected, I simply drilled the pipe and inserted a bronze nipple which could be either threaded or glued in with JB Weld, which is what I did.  It was still going strong 10 years later when I sold the boat.

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 06:39:25 AM »
I purchased a new stainless elbow and flange 8 years ago for my 4-154 from Trans Atlantic Diesel-one of the best sources for Perkins parts. Talk to Sheri. She is THE authority and will be most helpful.
Jules

Peter Hibbard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 07:30:09 AM »
Matthew, Jules - thanks for the feedback - I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks...Peter

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »
Failed to mention, Perkins made some Westerbeke engines, as I understand and many of the parts are interchangeable. Sorry for the confusion, but Sheri will know. She is very helpful. Whatever you do, don't call Foley. Dr. Diesel is a complete ass.
Jules

Peter Hibbard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »
Cleaned raw water system with Barnacle Buster concentrate 4:1.  Added to system until evidence of product exiting exhaust.  Let sit overnight and then flushed system.  Benefit result was 10'F lower in operating temp and increased raw water exiting exhaust. Did discover weak point in aluminum elbow in exhaust with small pin hole leaks. Replaced with all bronze set up and cleaned up connections etc. See pics below.

Thanks...Peter ..../).....