Author Topic: Afternoon Delight new owner  (Read 330 times)

Beregiña

• View Profile
Afternoon Delight new owner
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:59:48 PM »
Hello!

I just bought a CSY 37 Afternoon Delight in Whittier, Alaska.
 The previous owner had bought her down in Washington State and sailed up to the Prince William Sound in Alaska. I'll take her to Valdez, AK in June.

I have an Ericson 27 in Virginia. I though I knew what I was getting into. Hoo boy, one look at my new boat, and I am overwhelmed by JUST HOW MUCH BOAT I've got.

Time to hit the books, read up on that engine, get familiar with the boat.

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Re: Afternoon Delight new owner
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:09:44 AM »
Hi Beregina,  congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum.  I love the name of your boat!  And wow!  What a nice place to cruise!  Let is know if we can assist with any questions you may have.  Matthew

Beregiña

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 04:13:10 AM »
I just spent my first whole day on my new sailboat. It's rainy and cold in Whittier. I drove in late Friday night and went to sleep. This morning, I woke up cold and overwhelmed. I didn't remember how to run cabin heat. (I actually still don't quite understand how it works. I hear a pump clicking when I turn it on. So, propane? Or some sort of a catalytic diesel heater?)

I chatted up my local Coast Guard Auxiliary. Good thing it's the weekend, and they're all there. They did an inspection that I knew I'd fail. My head isn't plumbed properly. All my flares are expired. I wanted to see what else they'd find. Maybe something about my boat would jump out at someone who does boat inspections all the time.

I spent quite a few hours cleaning. I don't need the boat all shiny and clean to sail to Valdez. But the best way to find anything is to happen across it while spraying algae off of it.

I also spent some time noting and chasing leaks. Having lived on a leaky Ericson for a while, I don't think these leaks are that bad. Nevertheless, I'll be ripping out some of the rotten wood and installing better gaskets whenever I get to Valdez.

I ran the engine for a bit. Tested propulsion at the dock. The boat is HEAVY. I can feel it in the way she slowly responds to well more than clutch ahead or astern. I'm worried about sailing next week. There's not much room for error on this boat. Will need to find me an empty pier and do some dock crashing.

I can't for the life of me find that propane tank that fuels the galley. It's reasonable that it would be in the port side cockpit locker; but there's so much stuff in there that I haven't got to digging down into it today.

I also, frustratingly, can't find my water or fuel tanks. In all fairness, I only started looking as dusk came to Whittier early with dark clouds and more rain. But the previous owner had showed me where they were! So here I am, gnawing my own elbows because I didn't record him showing me what's what.

And that's it for my first day. Tomorrow, I'm going to Anchorage to get flares, and then back to Valdez until the Memorial Day weekend.

-Eugenia
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:18:42 AM by Beregiña »

Beregiña

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 04:03:02 AM »
Day #2, and the previous owner came by to (literally) show me the ropes.

Built-in heater is diesel. Duh. Propane doesn't need to be pumped.

The previous owner explained some other systems I couldn't figure out on my own. Now I know how to put water in, and how to fuel, and that the propane bottles for the galley are under the helmsman's seat.

We went out and putted around for a bit. I learned that docking that boat single-handed just ain't gonna happen. At least at first.

Next weekend, I'll sail to Valdez.

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 04:52:49 PM »
Sounds like you are enjoying the new boat to you "scavenger hunt" !! That's half the fun of getting a new boat. Welcome to the forum and enjoy!
Doug

Peter Hibbard

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY37B #006
  • Boat Name: JAZZ
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
Beregina - glad to hear you have joined the CSY family. We have owned "JAZZ" a 37b 1978 #006 since 2007. If you have any questions concerning a 37 CSY I would be glad to help.

All the best.

Peter