Author Topic: Secondary fuel filter adapter replaced... Works great.  (Read 348 times)

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
Secondary fuel filter adapter replaced... Works great.
« on: March 04, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »
I have always procrastinated changing of my secondary fuel filter on my Perkins 4.236 because of the mess of changing a cartridge style filter and then having to bleed the lines to get it started again.  I've changed the primary very often and put off changing the secondary. I wanted to find a way to change from a cartridge to a spin-on type to make it easier and cleaner and found 2 ways to go; a replacement filter head from Foley Engines that was over $200 and an adapter that uses the existing filter head for less than $70 from BWParts.com: Fuel Filter Adapter Kit with Filter for Perkins 3.152 Motor - SKU: BW1296-K. This is made for the Perkins 3.152 motor but I confirmed the same size for my 4.236. Not sure if this will work for the more popular 4.154. My 4.236 used the filter #26561117 from Perkins which may be what other motors use and if so, should also be a candidate for a change.
I finished the install yesterday and ran her for 20 minutes without any issues. I did still have to perform a quick bleed of the system but didn't take more than a few minutes. I won't hesitate to change this easy spin-on filter (Napa Gold 3195) in the future, a lot easier and cleaner than the old way. One thing I will change in the future is the steel bolt that holds it on the head, changing to a stainless bolt at next filter change.

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: Secondary fuel filter adapter replaced... Works great.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:45:29 PM »
Doug,
I rarely had to change fuel filters because I cleaned my tank periodically and used Biobor JF additive.  But when I finally changed that one for the first time that was enough.  Complete Yachts, the Perkins dealer in Ft Lauderdale, sold me a spin on adapter for my 4154 for $35.  That was 1998.  They are still in business and I suspect still sell the adapter kits for most Perkins models. 
Whoever designed the original should be banished from engine design.

Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
Re: Secondary fuel filter adapter replaced... Works great.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:38:48 PM »
Yes Dave, it is the same part at the same price from Complete Yachts but they are out of stock right now. I agree, poor design from the start.