Author Topic: Hide the Women and Lock Up the Whiskey!  (Read 252 times)

Bodega Bob

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 Pilothouse
  • Boat Name: Tempest
Hide the Women and Lock Up the Whiskey!
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
Aloha -

I'm in the process of purchasing TEMPEST (44 Pilothouse, Hull#: TXY44k040578) from Ed & Gracie down Rio Dulce way. Some great folks! They've owned her for the past 14 or so years. Tempest is a bit of a tired old girl, loved not abused, just not well tended for the past several years because of Ed & Gracie's advancing age. She's a project boat & the info from this group was a valuable contribution to my decision to undertake this project. I'ma hoping for some adult supervision along the way!

I'm headed back to RD for change of command & to move aboard sometime in the next 6 weeks so if any of ya'll are in the area, I'll be happy to buy you a drink @ Bruno's in exchange for the opportunity to pick your brain. I should be easy enuff to spot. I'll be the knucklehead non-qual noob with just enuff knowledge to be dangerous to those within hailing distance!

Bodega Bob

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: Hide the Women and Lock Up the Whiskey!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »
Bob,

Congratulations and Welcome Aboard!  It's always heartening to hear when an informed new owner takes possession of a tired old girl.  I hate to see boats just sitting in yards/docks deteriorating!  These are such great boats for cruising, I'm sure you'll love cruising on her, when you've had a chance to bring her back up to cruising form.  The Rio is a great place to do that.

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Bodega Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:35:13 PM »
Mwah!  Sherry!

So you're SOGGY PAWS! Hope your karma's good. You got me into this!  =8-0  Much mahalo for passing on all that knowledge and experience! I've got a lot of problems to wrassle into submission. I spent 2 1/2 days crawling around on her, the last afternoon underway. Solid like a floating brick. Mostly fresh water there. Sound rigging - probably the last 3 or 4 years of it's life but still solid. 90 HP Lehman - runs adequately. Nobody seems to know the engine's age. Were any of the 44s built with the Lehman as the original engine? Part of the oral history of this boat (hull# 4) is that is was originally built for and used as a coastal survey craft, which explains the ratlines &  crows nest, I suppose. USCG digitized records don't seem to go back that far. She's the proverbial '59 Cadillac found in the farmer's hay barn. Hasn't had an electronics upgrade since her launch! Old girls need love, too!

Gonna need some chain plates. I'll re-read the article & probably ping ya directly downstream about them, if that'd be OK. 

Is there a source for systems diagrams on these old girls?

B.
https://www.facebook.com/bodega.bob

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Buckeye Queen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 08:51:05 AM »
Hello Bob,

Congratulations on your purchase. I bought one from salvage and have gutted her and have her just about finished. They are built like tanks and I know you will not be sorry no matter how much work she needs.

Please feel free to holler at me anytime you need any advice. Believe me when I say I have seen every inch of mine.

Good luck.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
Land Locked S/V Buckeye Queen

Bodega Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
Cap'n Mike -

Much mahalo! Do you have a source for systems diagrams? Most important to me on the front end are the electrical system schematics. The wiring is in acceptable shape for her age, meaning it moves electrons from point A to point B, but it's been "shade tree" maintained by the last owners - wire nuts, electrical tape, single core household cabling in some areas, some dangerous & scary sh*t and absolutely unseaworthy! If I could get my hands on an elec system schematic for reference - even for the class and not the specific boat - it would go a long way in speeding up the refit. I've been searching the web but no joy, so far.

B.

P.S. - Just found the Dropbox info. Will sift thru there when I get access. I can't possibly be the first knucklehead looking for this info!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:40:05 AM by Bodega Bob »

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
Bob,

I forwarded your request to Peter, with your email address.  Hopefully he will add you to the Dropbox account soon.

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Bodega Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
Thx Sherry!

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Contessa
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »
Hi Bob

Welcome to the club!  We just bought Contessa, a 1980 44-walkthrough, last April down in Grenada. We have been working on her getting her ready to launch in January.  I am also interested in any electrical schematics you come across.   A few weeks ago we mounted some granny bars at the mast.  I sure am glad the cabin top is solid 3/8 or better solid fiberglass.   Like you said "a floating brick" that'll take care of you at sea.

Bodega Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 06:36:43 PM »
THX LittleSkipper.

I bought her as a project boat. Got that same feeling a guy gets in the back of the church when he is about to enter the state of matrimony! I gotta say that the Soggy Paws sagas & this forum gave me the confidence to step up.  I've been drilling thru usable information for the stuff I need to do all day. An Honorable Mention goes to the multitude of reviews that exist across the 40 years on the CSYs. Jeezus! Did you ever even meet anybody or even hear of anybody, for that matter, who didn't sing CSY praises?  This was like finding a shabby unicorn!

There was nothing in the US Navy Submarine Force that prepared me for this - except maybe giving me a respect for a dependable vessel and the cohones peludas to do it  It's good to know there are mates around out there that've been there, done that.

I'll pass on whatever I find on the schematics.

Bodega Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »
Wow! Just saw a pic of Contessa! Sweet!

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 04:59:56 PM »
Thanks Bob,  That feeling right there is why we bought her.  Thank man.

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Buckeye Queen
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
Bob,

Sorry about the delay. I have been helping move a Island Packet down the coast to Fort Pierce.

As far as the wiring diagram I do not have anything since I basically tore all the old wiring mess completely out of my boat and when I say mess I mean it... In the process right now of rewiring and it is going great.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
Land Locked S/V Buckeye Queen

Bodega Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »
As far as the wiring diagram I do not have anything since I basically tore all the old wiring mess completely out of my boat and when I say mess I mean it... In the process right now of rewiring and it is going great.

Ha! I have to go the same route, Mike. I'm not what anyone would mistake for an experienced electrician so I thought it would be a good idea to look at how it was supposed to be wired before I got started. As it stands, I gotta heel the boat back & forth just to get the dang electrons to flow from the port side to the stbd side & back! Oh well, my circus, my monkeys!  ;D Maybe something will pop up when I get access to the Dropbox.

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
Regarding rewiring: I may be in for something similar but I am not looking for it anytime soon.  Have you consider a BUS system?  Nigel Calder has it and wrote about.  I found a link to a discussion about it here

Bodega Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 05:20:25 PM »
LittleSkipper - Thx. Too many fragile electronic components for me. I'm going with solid, simple, & reliable with a readily accessible body of reference to help me along the way.

All Hands - I did not find any electrical schematics in the Dropbox but there is a wealth of other info there. Check it out if you haven't already.

I'm not making any promises over here but I will do my best to draw up & share the electrical schematic of Tempest as I go along.

Cap'n Mike - Draw it up as you're rip snorting thru the electron maze! Ha! You show me yours & I'll show you mine!