Author Topic: Hurricanes Irma and Maria  (Read 201 times)

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Hurricanes Irma and Maria
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
Dear Friends and CSY Forum Members,

I wanted to reach out to our friends and CSY members in the Eastern & Northern Caribbean, Bahamas, Florida Keys and Southern Florida after these bad hurricanes we have been experiencing this year.  I hope you and your families got through this well and your lovely CSY boats were unscathed.  Even here in Miami Beach, there were scores of wrecked and dismasted sailboats, and we only experienced winds of about 105 mph.  It was much worse in other places.

It was a good thing that I put my boat out with 3 anchors.  The larger anchor, a 88# Delta on chain dragged, but the Rockna 55# and the Fortress FX37 held her fast in thick mud bottom.  My dock was ruined from the storm surge, so I needed to leave her at anchor for a few weeks until the dock was rebuilt.  We are starting to put things on the boat back in order again at this time and should be sailing again in a week or two.

Miami was missed by the brunt of hurricane Irma, but other places in the Caribbean, Keys and the west coast of Florida were not so fortunate.  I hope the folks and boats in these places are doing well.  I would love to hear how you are doing, when you have the time.

Matthew

Sassara

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: Cinnabar
Re: Hurricanes Irma and Maria
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
Cinnabar did fine in Fort Lauderdale.  Just a little "Break Dancing" in 100 mph winds.  It was moored with 8 lines and anchors leading back and forth across the canal. 

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »
Matthew,

Thanks for that info on which anchors held and which did not in the recent hurricane.  I have had both a Delta 88 and 55 and a Fortress FX 37.  Based on my experience with these I would have expected what happened to you; the older Delta plow dragged in soft mud and the Fortress and more modern Rocna scoop did not. 
We sold our Delta 5 years ago and have used a big Spade scoop anchor since then with much better results in soft bottoms.  This is a good example of modern technology bringing us better anchors.

Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
Dave,
 I agree with that about the newer scoop type designs being better all around anchors.  I have swapped out the Delta 88 anchor  for a Rocna Vulcan anchor.  The Spade was also a finalist, but there was a better deal on the Vulcan, so I went that route.
I really like the Rocna 55 for everyday use on the port side, but for the starboard roller tray a roll bar type anchor could not be easily accommodated.
Matthew

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »
Matthew,

The new Rocna Vulcan came out after we had bought the Spade.  The two look almost the same.  Maybe because the Spade patent ran out in 2016.  Can you tell us what you think of it?  As good setting as the Rocna?
Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:53:29 AM »
Yes, the Spade and the Vulcan look very similar, with the exception being that the Spade is two pieces and could be stowed down below if desired.  I will report back later on the Vulcan after I have tested it a few times.