Author Topic: HELP, IS THIS A CSY???????  (Read 785 times)

david334

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 Walkover
  • Boat Name: Wave cutter
HELP, IS THIS A CSY???????
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
Hello guys and gals, I am new to the forum, Im in need of some info. I am co-purchasing a "1976 CSY 44 walkover" The owner of the boat hasn't shown me a title yet because the whereabouts are unknown. The yacht is in need of a full restoration(its in ruff shape :(.) We are getting it at a fairly low price so it doesn't bother us much. We have many concerns regarding finding the HIN and if the paperwork matches the boat. Thus said, can we get an Idea of where to look for the HIN? we looked on the back of the transom and couldn't find anything. the owner last registered it in 91 and it has sat in the water for most of its life. I have read the data you guys have on owners and names of the CSY fleet, but our registration numbers don't match. The proprietors state its a prototype, Irwin built for CSY and its HUll number 4. Please someone shed some light! thanks

HIN - CSY578940776
Date built - 1976
manufacture- Irwin

Also couple of other things, we pulled out the motor and generator and have what it seems like a rebuilt westerbeke ready on a pallet. unsure what type of motor since the serial plate number has nothing written. everything in the motor room was stripped! transmission is gone, so we need to know what type of tranny it needs and so forth. We kinda got our hands in a messy situation. if anybody would like to help us figure everything out much appreciated. We are both young and stupid so let us know straight up.

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: HELP, IS THIS A CSY???????
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:42:50 AM »
Hi David,

It sounds like you indeed have one of the prototype CSY's built by Irwin for CSY.  I really don't know much more about the history of the early boats beyond whats on our website:

http://svsoggypaws.com/AboutCSYBoats.htm

The HIN's on our CSYs were on the transom, just under the toe rail on the starboard side.  If you have the old documentation, it may record the HIN.

The 0776 part of the HIN is obviously the start date of the build.  But the rest of the HIN you give I have no idea.  On our boats, the format is something like TXY440220577.  Where the TXY designates boats built by CSY corporation, 44 is the 44. 022 is s/n 22, and the last 4 digits is the date.

I don't know if we have any members out there with the Irwin versions of the CSY that could help you out with your engine questions...

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

LittleSkipper

• Enjoying the good life.
    • View Profile
    • Contessa Sailing Blog
  • Boat Name: Contessa
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »
Hi Sherry,

Your insight would be most appreciated.  I would like to figure out what my boat's hull number TXY44W080380 means. From what you wrote above my hull number is W08 with a date of March(03) 1980.  Would this mean I have the 8th walk-thru ever built?  Can I presume the "W" means Walk-Thru?  She is rigged as a ketch. I am wondering if that would that be represented in the HIN?   I thought I read somewhere that the last 6 digits were 08 = 8th boat built or started during month dated 0380 - March 1980 in my case.  I am probably over thinking this.  Thanks for your help
Martin,Tracy & Jelliebean

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 07:08:42 PM »
Martin,

Attached is a screen shot of my CSY database for your boat.  Indeed, your Walkthrough is the 8th walkthru built, and was one of the rare ones built as a ketch.

If you pm me updated details, I'd be happy to add you as the new owner.

Just looked up the USCG doc no, and it looks like Jeffry must have been the one who sold it to you, as the documentation was current until July 31.

Here's the USCG Documentation search, in case you want to look it up yourself.
http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByID.html

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/