Author Topic: External Round Chainplates Design  (Read 181 times)

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
External Round Chainplates Design
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »
We occasionally get requests for the details of the round chainplates we put on Soggy Paws.  See our account of upgrading our chainplates to an external round one, and why we chose that over just replacing the original internal chainplates, here:  http://svsoggypaws.com/rig.htm#Chainplates

I just stumbled into a drawing file that someone else (s/v Imagine) made, that I downloaded a few years ago.  Their website is no longer operational, but fortunately I saved a copy.  I am not sure whether this info is in the CSY Dropbox or not, but here is the PDF and the DXF file.

I am not absolutely positive this is identical to Ron Sheridan's original design--you'd have to verify that yourself.

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: External Round Chainplates Design
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 09:35:13 PM »
And a link to Ron Sheridan's posts on this subject.

http://csysailboats.blogspot.com/search/label/Chain%20Plates

Sherry

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Contessa
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
Soggy Geek,

Thank you very much.  This is just what I was looking for.  Our current Chain Plates are the original type and were renewed 15 or 16 years ago.  I am not sure we will be changing them soon but most likely while we own Contessa CSY 44 ketch. 

What is the forum's opinion?  The boat is in Grenada and we hope to sail her back to Annapolis next winter & spring.  Considering the seas and weather that time of year would you recommend renewing the chain plates sooner?   I am planning to get a professional opinion from a close friend and previous owner operator of Chesapeake Rigging Tom W.   in September.

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »
Hi Soggy Geek,

This is an FYI:   I was having difficulty loading this file "Imagine Chainplates Drawing.DXF" into LibreCAD that you attached above.  I took a look at it with "notepad" and found that its contents is a "HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found."

But the pdf files are great!

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 03:26:37 PM »
Contemplating the chainplate replacement project. Has anyone left the internal plates in place and used those for intermediate backing plates for the new ones? Then, adding new secondary backing plates.  Seems this would add significant strength to the connection point.
Doug

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »
Hi Martin,  I would think that chainplates should last at least 25 years.  Yours have already been replaced so they could go less or longer depending on how much the boat was used, where it was used, how well maintained, the quality of the materials & design, etc.  They are easy to give a cursory inspection, and as long as you do not see an issue, they are probably just fine for a number of years, in my opinion.  Mine were replaced about 10 years ago and they are still perfect.  Matthew

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 01:42:31 AM »
Little Skipper, sorry the DXF file is no good, but hopefully the PDF will give you what you need.  I confess I never opened that file--just downloaded it from someone else's website, and that website is now gone.

Sherry

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 07:12:56 AM »
Soggy Geek,
Sorry for my late response.  No worries; the effort was much appreciated as were all the other files.

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 07:29:37 AM »
Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your positive response.  I appreciate your thoughts. Contessa was not sailed too hard over the past 9 yrs or so.  I will be visiting Contessa with a USB borescope 5.5 mm and dental tools to dig out the caulking.  I hope I can get a good look a the hidden parts.  From what I have read here and other sources, it is those parts you can't see or more importantly does not get air/oxygen that will in time cause the problems.