Author Topic: New CSY 44 owner joining your forum  (Read 240 times)

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Contessa
New CSY 44 owner joining your forum
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:14:55 PM »
Hello Everyone,
We are new to the forum: Martin & Tracy Tullier.  We saw Contessa a CSY 44' Ketch WT last February and by late April we were the new owners.  We purchased Contessa from Jeff & Carolee Kingdon.  Jeff and Carolee owned Contessa for the past 16 years and did a great job taking care of her.  We made new friends and hope to treat their boat well going forward.  Currently Contessa is in Grenada getting prepared for sailing in December.

I am interested in all the information available about the external round chain plates.  The current chain plates are about 15 years old. Jeff had them replace with the original type internal. 

Glad to be here,

martin

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
Re: New CSY 44 owner joining your forum
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:20:26 PM »
Oh, I should have mentioned our hull #TXY44W080380

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:33:48 PM »
Hi Martin, welcome aboard!! 

While trying to find my CSY database and update ownership info for you, I stumbled into a drawing file that someone else had, that I downloaded a few years ago.  Their website is no longer operational, but I saved a copy.  I am not sure whether this info is in the CSY Dropbox or not, but I just posted it in the Hull and Rig section.

http://csyowners.com/forums/index.php?topic=6396.0

I am not absolutely positive this is identical to Ron Sheridan's original design (which is what we used)--you'd have to verify that yourself.

We sailed Soggy Paws with the external round chainplates 40,000 miles, much of it open ocean sailing.  The only drawback is that, as someone else mentioned in another thread, you are moving your stays outboard a few more inches.  It does affect how tight you can sheet your jib, which of course does affect windward performance.  But everything's a compromise.  Eliminating the inevitable leaks caused by the original chainplates going through the deck was a bigger plus, in our opinion.

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
Martin and Tracy,
Welcome aboard to the forum. I know you will love the walkthrough as much as I do. Enjoy! I too am about to embark on the chainplate replacement project. Not exactly looking forward to kit but I figure it must be done.
Doug

LittleSkipper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »
Hi Doug,

Please be sure to share your experience and resources on your chain plate replacement here.  I have been doing some research but have not found a shop/source willing to fabricate them.  I sure would like an updated quote on fabrication for planning purposes.  I may have a few years to go yet. I found that Rick Heim had made them in the past and I emailed him.  Here is his reply:

rheim nine seven four seven at aol dot com
Aug 31 (9 days ago)

to me
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Thank you for the inquiry.
I retired in 2012 so I won't be of any help. 
I wish I could tell of someone who could help you but don't know of anyone.
Sorry
Rick Heim