Author Topic: Staysail boom  (Read 1125 times)

Thane

• View Profile
Staysail boom
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:21:48 PM »
I'm giving serious thought to removing the staysail boom from our 44 W/O but I'm not sure where to install the track for the sheets.

Any suggestions?

Thane Gilliam
Heart of Gold
44 W/O

svsurprise

• View Profile
Re: Staysail boom
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 04:53:07 PM »
After a winter cruise to the Bahamas I too am thinking of removing the staysail boom and staysail for my next trip down there.  It's just too often in the way for storing the dinghy, for getting across the boat in front of the mast, for sitting on deck, etc.  Furthermore, for the cruising I do, US east coast and Bahamas, I do not consider the staysail necessary.  I used it but rarely and found it was only beneficial from a beat to a beam reach, anything further aft and it blanketed the jib.  It was of course most useful when the wind piped up to over 25 but normally I'm in port in any winds higher than that.  I can reef my 100% jib to 60-70% with no ill effects which should take me up to about 30 knots.  If I was crossing any ocean or at least a major ocean passage the staysail would certainly be used and I would be happy to have it deployed.

As for the sheet angle I can't help you.  I am sure someone on the forum has switched to roller furling and has it worked out.  I've thought about just removing the boom and keeping the staysail but the sheeting angle to the staysail traveler would be all wrong.  I've also thought about switching to roller furling but without a boom I can't see how to rig it given the need to run the sheets aft to the cockpit, installation of new winches, etc.  In any case, I would consult a sailmaker but I bet he/she is going to tell you that you need to get a new staysail or have yours recut.   

Good luck with your decision,
Don
'Surprise' 44 w/o

Thane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »
Thanks. I'm thinking of a roller furler with no boom.
The staysail has been very handy for us. When motoring into the wind we back the staysail and pickup a knot but that is with the boom.
Hopefully, someone has removed the boom and installed sail tracks and can tell me where they put the tracks.
Thane Gilliam
Heart of Gold
44 W/O

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »
Thane, mine has a roller furling staysail.  The tracks are located on the top edge of the main cabin forward of where a dodger would go.  The sheet angles are good with this set-up, but you may find it very beneficial to install a couple of small S/T winches and cleats on the cabin top inside the dodger area, accessible from the cockpit.  I can send a photo if you like.  Matthew

Thane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:31:47 PM »
A photo would help. Thanks
Thane Gilliam
Heart of Gold
44 W/O

Chip

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Chip
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »
I have kept the boom and added a roller furler above it. Before the furler I almost never used the staysail as I am usually single handed. It does not make a noticeable difference in sailing performance in most conditions but makes a huge difference tacking. I am considering putting traveler adjustment lines on the rail to make the stops adjustable from the cockpit.