Author Topic: Hard to Pump Toilette  (Read 542 times)

deLight

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: deLight
Hard to Pump Toilette
« on: March 17, 2017, 02:27:39 PM »
Toilettes - Always an interesting topic.

My toilette has been hard to pump for years. I kept a bottle of oil in the head and would squirt a few drops in after every couple of uses.

A few months ago, I let my toilette get exceptionally gross. I normally use vinegar to knock the calcium build up off the bowl. I decided that simple vinegar was not going to do it this time so I bought some dilute Hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid in the US) to use. The toilette being extremely gross, I poured in about 8 oz of acid and some hot water and pumped it out to coat the pump, joker valve and exit pipe with acid. I then added 8 oz more acid and filled the bowl with hot water.

I went away for a while and let the acid do its work. When I returned, a toilette brush easily removed all remaining calcium and stains from the bowl.

After using the toilette for a while, I noticed that it was no longer hard to pump. Hmmm. I decided to experiment and let the toilette get really really gross (That's my story and I am sticking to it.) And repeated the procedure. It worked and I have not had to use any oil to lubricate the pump.

My theory is that there was calcium build-up on the walls of the pump tube which made it hard to work. The strong acid cleaned the pump of the calcium build-up and the pump now works freely.

Of course over time, I do not know what problems I am introducing by using a strong acid. But, in the meantime, I am enjoying an easy to pump toilette.

Max