Author Topic: Web site  (Read 1091 times)

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
Web site
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »
Its been a bit quiet this spring...Usually members are posting a lot of interesting projects.
Are we getting tired or old or both?
Jules

svsurprise

• View Profile
Re: Web site
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:45:07 AM »
Not tired but definitely getting older.  Haven't posted any projects or questions because Surprise, my 44 W/O, sailed to the Bahamas in early December and has been hanging out down there since.  Whatever projects I was working on are being tested.

The two biggest improvements that I foresee in the future are a stern arch and a wind generator.  My current davits are functional but slightly wobbly for any inter-island passages.  My 400 watts of solar is also adequate but there are plenty of days and nights when the wind is piping up and a nice quiet wind generator would be awful nice to have.

Otherwise, all is well.

Don 

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
Glad to hear from you, Don.  You probably noticed I'm currently working on refrigeration. FYI I recently had a dingy arch installed with all the bells and whistles..Davits, engine lift, wind gen support and aft pulpit integrated with stanchions forward. We designed it for 2-190 watt panels, a perfect fit. The price was very reasonable. Since you are in the Bahamas, a trip to Riverside Marina in Ft. Pierce might be doable.. A do it yourself yard with good people around. Joe is the welder who did my arch and his work is excellent.
Hope your weather has been better. This has been the windiest year in south Fla I remember and I've been here almost 30 yrs.
Keep in touch,
Jules

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »
Hi Jules,

Nice to hear from you and the others.  Our CSY is tucked in far away in Perth Australia (with new owner).  He hasn't been emailing us much.  I tried to get him to join the forum but he hasn't so far.

We've had the new Soggy Paws hauled out and working long days getting a few things done.  We just launched 2 days ago and are now trying to finish all the final projects.  We hope to head south to Indonesia in mid-March.

But we'll try to keep monitoring the forum here, and chime in when we have something useful to say.

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »
Dave and Sherry,
You guys have been an invaluable data base for CSYs over the years...Example, I am servicing my pre 1992 Lewmar 48 winches, which were probably standard equipment on later models and had trouble locating a schematic. All of a sudden, a Soggy Paws entry came up, a manual Dave had posted showing all the early Lewmars and parts numbers. Thanks to you, I'm back in business.
Please stay in touch. My many thanks again.
Jules

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
Jules, Good to see your still at it. Had a great month sailing with friends and family out of The Harborage Marina the month of December. Our last sail on New Years Eve day had a problem which turned into my spring job list and 30 days on the hard. Long story short…. New motor mounts, new cutlass bearing, new shaft with new coupling flange, reconditioned stuffing box, reconditioned prop, and new hoses and clamps. The biggest job was repairing an earlier inferior repair to the shaft log tube which had cracked and caused us to start taking on water. All is well and now better than new. The alignment proved challenging but I got it within the .004 recommended. The ride home was smooth and quiet. Not wanting to deal with alignment issues again, research found Sigmadrive, a marine c/v joint with built in thrust bearing that can handle out of alignment up to 3 degrees. Ran a test drive of 2 hours and noticed even less vibration and noise.  Would love to see the work you’ve done, she must look great.
review of Sigmadrive  https://youtu.be/tKvDYpJaaAY