Author Topic: Rigging tension range scale for 44WO short mast  (Read 994 times)

Brett

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: 1979 CSY 44' WO
  • Boat Name: Kitty Hawk
Rigging tension range scale for 44WO short mast
« on: October 30, 2016, 05:04:31 PM »
Last year we had our rigging inspected, had the tensions checked and had the stay-loc fittings inspected as well.  This year we had to haul out for Hurricane Matthew which involved removing our forestay and roller furling for the lift.  Once we relaunched, I checked the tension on the rigging just to be sure.  The mast was still straight port to starboard with no waves in the sail track or other indications of deformation.  The actual rigging tension measurements were very symmetrical but I wasn't sure what the recommended scale range was for this style rig?  We did mark the forestay turnbuckle so we were able replicate where it was after the inspection and before the haulout.  Anyone have a resource for the proper tension ranges ?  Thanks.....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:18:51 PM by Brett »

Brett

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: 1979 CSY 44' WO
  • Boat Name: Kitty Hawk
Re: Rigging tension range scale for 44WO short mast
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 10:12:19 PM »
Update....I spoke to the rigger who did our inspection last year......he advised that each wire should be between 6% - 8% of breaking strength which in the Loos tension scale is about 30-32......so, if someone  else has this issue......there's the answer.....

Ed & Yvonne Morris 44 wo #158

• View Profile
Re: Rigging tension range scale for 44WO short mast
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 06:53:09 AM »
Never had to take the fore stay down to haul. we just back the boat into the haul out slip