Author Topic: Wet Exhaust System?  (Read 1130 times)

hnb7286

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 37A
  • Boat Name: Shady Lady
Wet Exhaust System?
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:41:09 AM »
Good morning!!

We just acquired a 1969 37' CSY A with a Westerbeke 40' v drive. It has not been used in a number of years and the previous owner was trying to do a serious overhaul without much thought or knowledge of the current systems installed. So he removed the exhaust system and we are trying to figure it out. Just behind our engine below the cockpit floor, we have a small circular hole in the fiberglass that seems to lead to a small enclosed fiberglass tank. Is this a molded in wet exhaust system? If so, is it possible to still use it, or what are people replacing this system with? This is our current guess of what the mysterious hole is used for.

We are looking at the engine right now and have replaced hoses and fluid and would like to try to crank it over, but without a proper exhaust system lol, we will wait... Can anyone give me more information about how the exhaust system might have worked before and what is used now?

Peter Hibbard

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY37B #006
  • Boat Name: JAZZ
Re: Wet Exhaust System?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
Hello - we have hull # 006 1978 CSY37B - not sure what this set up is you are describing. We too have the Westerbeke 40 and V drive. I would be glad to take pictures of our set up if you would like. We are berthed in New Smyrna Beach, FL.

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Re: Wet Exhaust System?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 10:14:23 AM »
Hi Shady Lady,  if you are still looking for information on how to reassemble your exhaust system, you might want to look at the Yacht world site.  There is a CSY37B for sale in Merritt Island Fl, and it has a lot of good photos of the engine room set up with what I believe is the wet exhaust system you described in your post.  Good luck, Matthew