Author Topic: Living Aboard A Boat  (Read 856 times)

Silverheels

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
Living Aboard A Boat
« on: June 24, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
I wrote and published a Kindle book titled "Living Aboard A Boat".  I used my CSY 33 "Silverheels" for some of the photos and narratives in the book.  I also have a website that has a lot of the book content.   Check out the website if you are interested. http://www.living-aboard.com

deLight

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: deLight
Re: Living Aboard A Boat
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »
I hope that you are successful with your book. As many users of this web site are looking for real experiences, I will add my 2 cents.

Like owning a boat, the reality of living aboard is vastly different from the dream. Non sailboat owners see the color glossy ads picturing the photogenic couple  sipping Mai Tais on the back deck while sailing in a gentle breeze with the colorful spinnaker up or the end of a movie where the hero and the girl sails off to a new (presumably perfect) life.

Many things about live aboard life are seldom mentioned. Toilettes are a big one.  In the US, you are not allowed to put sewage overboard. You need to trudge to the marina toilette to use it. Some marinas have close good clean facilities. Many do not. Bugs are another issue. You want to be in a nice warm pleasant place surrounded by water. But when the sun goes down, out come the insects. Screens help but often block what little breeze there is.

In my experience, most long term live aboards are single males. Couples tend to last at most 2 years.  Many couples retire (or have a major life change) to the live aboard dream. That dream lasts until reality sets in or the first grandchild is born.

I do not want to discourage anyone's dream. Just remember that chartering a boat for a vacation with a brief escape and living aboard as a life style are two completely different things. In other words, don't sell the house until you are absolutely sure that the live aboard life suits you.

Silverheels

• View Profile
Re: Living Aboard A Boat
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 11:53:24 AM »
deLight, you make some excellent points.  In fact, my book is all about pointing out the pros and cons of living aboard so that people will have a realistic idea of knowing what they are getting into1