Author Topic: Experience with Yanmar 75 HP installation?  (Read 1411 times)

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Experience with Yanmar 75 HP installation?
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:38:41 PM »
A friend of mine in the anchorage nearby with a CSY 44 W/O is considering replacing his Perkins with a Yanmar 75.  We have discussed the Cummings and the Beta as being an easier replacement, but he prefers the Yanmar.  He was told by his mechanic that the Yanmar tranny would not work on the CSY, and he would need to have his existing Velvet Drive, (straight drive), adapted to this Yanmar installation.  I have looked thru the history on this site and have not seen anything new on the Yanmar 75 since 2009, and nothing dealing with this exact question.

What he would like to know from this group is what to expect from this type of engine replacement, and if the velvet drive can be modified to mate with the Yanmar 75.

Thanks,
Matthew

stevesailing

Re: Experience with Yanmar 75 HP installation?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 01:50:19 AM »
Hi Matthew, FWIW Beaujolais has a Yanmar 4JH4-TE (75hp). The transmission is a ZF 30 M. These were installed by a previous owner,so I'm not sure of the reasons for this choice. cheers, Steve

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response.  For what it's worth, I visited a Yanmar dealer in Ft. Lauderdale with my neighbor who was enquiring about the engine.  We were told that the Yanmar 75 H/P had lost its certification for use in the U.S..  I guess it's an EPA issue.  The dealer did offer a 55 H/P naturally aspirated Yanmar, and there is an adaptor plate for the velvet drive tranny.  The adaptor was quite expensive, making the Yanmar transmission a much better deal than reusing the old tranny.  There were other larger sized engines as well.  My neighbor is still trying to decide what is best.

Matthew

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 11:05:54 PM »
Matt,

Notice this which was posted while we were off the grid in Indonesia, and while searching on the prop question, restored Jack Midence's old post about repowering with a Cummins.  Jack said "you don't need any more hp."  Here's the post with details.

http://csyowners.com/forums/index.php?topic=4546.msg4554#msg4554

Also, there are a number of posts about Beaujolais's repower, which was a Yanmar 75.  The owner Roger Dance, was an active member of the forum at the time of repowering.

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 09:43:49 AM »
Thanks Sherry.  That will be helpful to us as my cruising friend decided on the Cummins from TAD which will be delivered to my home later this week.  Then the fun begins!