Author Topic: Changing oil of Perkins 4-154  (Read 978 times)

djohnson

• View Profile
Changing oil of Perkins 4-154
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
Our 4-154 does not have an oil sump drain. I am struggling to suck out more than 6 quarts of used oil when I should be removing 9 quarts. To extract oil, I use a Jabsco drill pump attached to my drill. I run the engine a few minutes to heat up the oil. First, I put the suction hose in the oil dipstick opening and extract until no further flow. Then I put the suction hose into the rear sump through an access bolt on top. Then I put the suction hose into another access bolt further aft but still on top of the sump. The hose is not stiff and is difficult to orient so it is sucking properly. There is not a straight shot from the access bolt to the bottom of the sump so you cannot use a stiff hose. I would appreciate suggestions to improve the extraction of old oil as it is not good for the motor to leave behind so much used oil.

Many thanks,

Una Mas

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: Antigua 44
  • Boat Name: Una Mas
Re: Changing oil of Perkins 4-154
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 01:00:25 PM »
If it's accessible, get a spare drain plug drill, tap and install hose barb and attach piece of hose to run up to location easier for you to change oil.

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:21:37 AM »
djohnson,
Don't know your exact engine model but a lot of the 4-154s had a larger oil pan, flared at the bottom with cooling fins. These pans had a drain plug on the aft port side on top of the flare. Most had an oil drain pump installed. Maybe yours has been removed.  Just hard to believe there is not an easier way to change the oil. 

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
There should be a drain plug.  Perhaps it has already been connected to a drain hose by a previous owner to make the changing of the oil easier.  Have you asked the previous owner about this?  He may be able to help locate the drain.