Author Topic: Dock Water Connection  (Read 974 times)

deLight

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: deLight
Dock Water Connection
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:56:08 AM »
Connecting your boat directly to the water on the dock is DANGEROUS. You can just as easy sink your boat with fresh water as salt water. Never the less, like your onboard propane, properly managed it can be a fantastic convenience.

Things to consider:

Limit the amount of water from the dock. Use a pressure reducer to both limit the flow of water and reduce the pressure on the boat plumbing and fittings.

Check if incoming water will overwhelm your bilge pump. Let the water free flow into your bilge and see if the bilge pump can handle it.

Carefully inspect your plumbing. Make sure all hoses are good and the hose clamps are not corroded and tight. I recommend AWAB 316 Stainless Steel hose clamps.

Maintenance is important. If you find the slightest leak. Fix it and fix it properly. Nearly all leaks start small and grow with time.

Always turn of the dock supply when you leave the boat for more than a few hours. I turn off the water on the dock and open the galley sink faucet, which drains directly overboard. That way, if someone should accidentally turn it back on, the water will simply flow through the hose into the boat and out into the sink to the harbor. No pressure would be applied to the system.

Disconnect the system from the boat if you leave for a few days or more.

If your are strict in your care and maintenance and use checklist when you leave the boat, you will have no problems. If you are lackadaisical, do not connect it to the dock water as you will SINK your boat. I have used dock water for 15 years and never had any serious problems. Yes, I have had numerous leaks to fix. It is the nature of plumbing to deteriorate over time.

Other safety features I have are:

An ultra-bright LED which illuminates the entire salon every time the bilge pump cycles. That way any unnoticed leak becomes quickly noticeable.

High decibel bilge alarm which sounds if the bilge pump is ever overwhelmed.

Max