Author Topic: Chain Plates - Re-bedding  (Read 1199 times)

deLight

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: deLight
Chain Plates - Re-bedding
« on: April 06, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
When I re-did the hull/deck portion of the chain plates, by necessity I had to remove the chain plates. They needed work anyway since rust stains were emanating from the rub strake where the chain plates were secured.

The first step was to remove the brass strip from the rub strake and gain access to the screws securing the chain plates to the boat. In a few places the wood inside the rub strake was rotten. After I removed a chain plate, (I only did one at a time) I used my Dremel tool to clean out the rotted wood and prep the hole for a new bolt. I also drilled a hole in the top side of the rub strake so I had access to the hole from above.

I put in a hex bolt that went from just below the surface on the rub strake to the inside of the boat. As always in my standard construction technique, I cast that bolt in place with chopped fiberglass and epoxy with wax on the threads. Now each position for a chain plate bolt had a solid plug of threaded fiberglass completely through the hull and rub strake to secure it.

I took the chain plate to a machinist who heated it and we bent it to better conform to the shape of the hull. Before final assembly, I used fiberglass cloth and chopped fiberglass and epoxy behind the chain plate to create an exact conforming bed on the hull.

Everything was assembled with silicone caulk on the threads and all joint to prevent crevice corrosion from salt water. Use nylon locking nuts like the original.

Max

deLight

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: deLight
Re: Chain Plates - Re-bedding
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »
I took everything out of the hanging locker for a LED lighting project. This exposed the only place that a complete chain plate with hull deck modification can been seen. So, I took a photo.

Max