Author Topic: Heat Exchanger Identification and Sources  (Read 2223 times)

Rick McClain

• View Profile
    • Photographers1.com
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Island Time
Heat Exchanger Identification and Sources
« on: April 05, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »
Hi, My heat exchanger has degraded on one end where the cap had buckled and leaked. I am hoping I can get it welded and machined back to spec, but am at Marco Island, FL. and am having problems finding someone that can do the welding and machine work.
     I may have to resort to buying a new or used one with the commensurate time and monetary extensions. I can't even figure out who made this part or find suppliers. Sabre thinks they can get one from England in about 4 to  6 weeks, but I don't want to be stuck here for that long. Someone else quoted me $800 for the housing only...too much.
      This is on a Perkins/Sabre M92   4.236 Liter diesel engine in my CSY44.
I need the following parts, derived from a Sabre Parts PFD :

Front Cap #33902
 Plug  #33948
 O Ring  #10171   - 2ea.
 Body Casing  #34467

My tube stack seems to be in good condition.

Can anyone help me out with information on the maker, suppliers, machine shop nearby, etc. Even a used one in good condition would work for me. I can't find one anywhere. None of my numbers are similar to any numbers I see on any of the internet sites.

See photos at: http://Photographers1.com/HeatExchanger/
Most of what I've learned, I learned not through brilliance, but through persistence.

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: Heat Exchanger Identification and Sources
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »
Dave hasn't seen this yet, but we have a 4-154, so I'm not sure he can help much. 

Have you tried calling a Perkins dealer??  I am sure that will be Dave's first bit of advice. 
Here is our list:

http://svsoggypaws.com/workshop_links.htm#engines_transimissions_props

I know that Dave has often called one or more of the first 3 with questions like yours.  You can likely email them your picture and get them to help you.

I will try to get Dave to look at this--we've just been really really busy with 2 boats in the yard, and he hasn't had time to get on the internet much.

Anyone else with a similar engine that could help??

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:00:02 PM »
Rick,
Talk to Sherry at Trans Atlantic Diesel. They are located in Virgina and are "THE" North American Perkins experts. They have a web site.
If they don't have an answer, no one does.
Jules 

Rick McClain

• View Profile
    • Photographers1.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:15:28 AM »
Thanks Soggy Paws and Jules,
      I had already contacted Transatlantic and several others. TAD was the one that quoted me $800 for the aluminum housing/body. I'm working down the list of links that Soggy Paws sent me. Great resource list.
       Thanks again.
Most of what I've learned, I learned not through brilliance, but through persistence.

Una Mas

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: Antigua 44
  • Boat Name: Una Mas
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 03:34:10 PM »
Rick,

Has your engine been retrofitted with the newer header tank/heat ex/exhaust manifold or the older style with seperate heat ex underneath exhaust manifold (like mine..same engine). I calked TAD a month ago. They had 4.236 heat ex IN STOCK  at just under $500

Rick McClain

• View Profile
    • Photographers1.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 11:14:56 PM »
Hi,
     I guess my heat exchanger is original. I gave up trying to find someone to do the work or finding a replacement. I wish I could have posted all the pictures here on the forum so they would be here for good, but there were too many, too large.

Here's what I did:  http://Photographers1.com/HeatExchanger/

See my nautical dictionary here: http://www.Photographers1.com/Sailing/NauticalTerms&Nomenclature.html

Thanks to everyone for their help.
           Rick McClain

Una Mas

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: Antigua 44
  • Boat Name: Una Mas
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 12:11:05 AM »
Ok...the pics helped. You've been repowered sometime in the past. You've got a Sabre engine. You can try Bowman in England but have a few shots before the call. Parts are horrifically expensive for the newer Perkins/Volvo motors.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

And damn fine work BTW!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:50:08 AM by Una Mas »

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 12:16:26 AM »
Wow Rick, that's pretty resourceful!!  Dave would be proud of you!!  Thanks for documenting what you did, hope it all holds up under use.

I have "printed" your pictures and description to a PDF file and put it in the Dropbox under "Pictures of CSY Projects".

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Rick McClain

• View Profile
    • Photographers1.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 12:49:52 PM »
As a follow-up, I wanted to let everyone know that the deterioration of the heat exchanger, whos tube bundle is made of bronze and housing is made of aluminum, was probably initially caused by the fact that I didn't know there was supposed to be a sacrificial zinc on the engine. In fact, I had been told that there were none and that Perkins doesn't use them. Obviously not true. However, I thought I had looked everywhere on the engine and couldn't find any. I, also, looked in the Perkins parts manual and found none, and no mention of any. Upon being told where to look, on a pipe between the heat exchanger for the engine, which is the one that was being eaten up, and the heat exchanger for the transmission, there was, indeed, one zinc, hidden at the rear of the engine below the air intake. It is merely described as a "plug" in the parts book. All the zinc had dissolved, thus the aluminum housing was the next item on the "less noble" list. I'll be watching my zincs carefully from now on. I don't want to go through this again!