Author Topic: Hex Bolts vs Clevis Pins  (Read 903 times)

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: deLight
Hex Bolts vs Clevis Pins
« on: April 04, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »
When I was looking for a boat, many boats showed their huge bolt cutters which conveyed with the boat. The bolt cutters were to be used if you were de-masted and needed to cut away the rigging. Others said that you should never cut away your mast as you will need it to jury rig something to get you to port. I eventually settled on a CSY which had no bolt cutters.

I tried to envision taking a set of bolt cutters out on deck in weather which was violent enough to tumble a CSY. I was sure that I would either impale myself or lose the bolt cutters overboard. I thought that I should have a simple way to release the rigging if needed and be able to preserve the usable rig, especially the Sta-loks as they would be very useful in jury rigging a temporary setup to get me to port.

I decided to see if hex bolts with a clear shank would work. My logic was that I already had wrenches which could be used to disassemble them and I could  probably handle them laying on a pitching deck in a storm. So, I decided to buy some hex bolts and nylon locking nuts and give them a try. I used a die to thread the clear shank so the hex bolt and nut to exactly fit the rigging as needed.

The only downside that I could think of was crevice corrosion of the threads on the bolt and nut as they would be exposed to salt water. So, I coated the threads on assembly with silicone caulk to keep salt water out.

I have never been de-masted, so I cannot tell how useful an idea it is in that situation. (I hope to never know.) I can say that I have disassembled them several times over the past 15 years without any problem. The silicone caulk worked to keep the threads clean and easy to turn even when exposed to months of salt spray.

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: Cinnabar
Re: Hex Bolts vs Clevis Pins
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:52:11 PM »
Another way to quickly cut away rigging is with a hack saw, equipped with diamond impregnated blade.  The trick is to attack the turnbuckle, not the SS wire.  Its really easy.