Author Topic: Boat Theater  (Read 1092 times)

deLight

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: deLight
Boat Theater
« on: March 17, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
I finally got my home theater aboard deLight (boat theater) set up. I used a Brookstone pico projector and a Raspberry Pi for the Projector & Computer. I put on a 64gig thumb drive to hold newly downloaded movies.

I bought a little hand held RF keyboard & touchpad as a Remote Control to select and play a movie. I mounted a piece of PVC cloth which rolls up and stows on the ceiling for the Movie Screen. I use powered computer speakers for the audio.

It is not a fancy set up, but it plays the highly compressed 1080p movies that I download quite well.

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: Boat Theater
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
Hi deLight.  Welcome to the forum!  Thanks for sharing.  What exactly did you use for the projector screen?  Just "tarp" material, or something specifically designed to be projector screen material?

We have a similar projector we bought off Amazon.  AAXA Pico Projector  Current price is only $250.  (Next time I'd look for something with higher lumens, because it's not really usable during the daytime without "blackout curtains").

We haven't gotten it set up on our new boat, but mainly because we couldn't figure out what to do about a screen.  We bought a 40" table-top screen and have been using that temporarily.

Right now we don't have anything permanently mounted, so it's a PITA to set up.  So we usually end up using a laptop, if it's just the two of us.

But your post might inspire us to get things set up properly, so it's easy.

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

deLight

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 33
  • Boat Name: deLight
Re: Boat Theater
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 01:01:25 PM »
Hi Sherry, The material is basic plasticized cloth. Probably what you consider tarp material. It is cheap, white and reasonably reflective. I tried sail cloth. It worked but was pretty transparent. I might use it for a rear projection system. The screen has a 20mm aluminum tube for the base and rolls up and snaps into some fiberglass clips I made. The screen mounts to the overhead support on the 33 and when rolled up is out of the way and does not interfere with anything.

The pico projector is a Brookstone ($200) with only 100 lumen so daytime viewing is impossible. It works well at night. I recently acquired a Asus 200 lumen projector. At 6.5 ft, it projects a 75" image. Enormous for a 33' boat.

Once you have watched "Lord of the Rings" in 1080p on a 75" screen, going back to viewing it on the laptop again is impossible.

I have generally followed the forum and list server before that for the last 15 years. I think what made me join now is my attempt to install a 6kg front loading washing machine on a 33 foot boat. 8 weeks into the project, I wish someone had told me "DON'T DO IT."

Max