Author Topic: If you still have your original stanchions...  (Read 1813 times)

RHoodJr

• View Profile
If you still have your original stanchions...
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:03:16 PM »
beware!  I finally got around to replacing our gate and lifeline stanchions.  I did this because a few had small hairline cracks at the bases and the base plates were also cracked.  This is not an easy job and requires some removal of interior trim.  To my horror, there were three stanchions, one being a gate, that the threaded rod had completely corroded and broke off when I attempted to remove the nut.  A long time of water ingress also caused some rot on the camp rail.  Glad that job is over and much happier with the knowledge things are a lot more safe on board.

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Buckeye Queen
Re: If you still have your original stanchions...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 09:46:18 AM »
Mr. Hood,

Very interesting on your stanchions. Mine are all off right now and I was planning on taking them to my local weld shop for repairs and straightening. A couple are sort of bent from when the boat sunk and leaned against the dock. Question is where did you buy the replacements and are you interested in selling your old stanchions.

Did you use coated or uncoated lifelines?

GREAT job on your ice box, mine is almost finished except for the lids and the compressors.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
Land Locked S/V Buckeye Queen

RHoodJr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 07:31:20 AM »
Hi Mike,

I had J. T. R. Enterprise, Inc. Make them for me. They are not the cheapest option but are very well made. He welds the lifeline pass through sleeves so there is no water ingress into the tube.  They have the patterns for the stantions so the are an exact match.

Here is their contact info.  1510 - 51st Steet South, Gulfport, FL  33707
727/327-6321.  info@jtrmarine.com

I do not have any of the old stanchions I wouldn't be comfortable having anyone use them in their condition. I did put the old coated lines back on for now but will be changing them out with Dyneema line in January.

I put a photo of the new and old stanchions on this post and I hope it works properly with this ipad.

Good luck with your projects.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:56:54 PM by RHoodJr »

stevesailing

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:38:10 PM »
Hi All, I'm currently at the Marina in Mackay (north Queensland) and taking the opportunity to do some maintenance. One item is replacing one of the stanchions which looks a bit corroded where it joins the base plate. The threaded piece below the cap rail is in a very awkward place to get a spanner onto and is right up against the hull, so I couldn't get a socket on either. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to remove this based on their experience that would be helpful. The other question relates to the design of the stanchion.  Scouring the internet for replacements only returns stanchions that don't have a threaded section protruding through the cap rail, just a base plate, so i wonder if I could cut the stanchion off just below the base, leave the threaded piece in situ and replace it with one that doesn't have the threaded protrusion. Is it necessary to have the threaded protrusion? cheers, Steve

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Buckeye Queen
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:39:32 AM »
Steve,

Yea, I feel your pain. I have removed all stanchions on my boat. A couple I had to saw off from the top because I could not get a socket on or they would not break loose.

As far as the threaded part going thru the cap rail… I think it is a great way to install stanchions and I would not change that part. I have mine at a local weld shop were the guy claims he is going to fix them. Now with that said he has had them for a month or better now. The only good news is he is a sailor from the same part of Lake Erie I am. I am seriously considering having JTR make new ones all the way around.

Good luck with your project.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
Land Locked S/V Buckeye Queen

stevesailing

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:02:56 PM »
Hi Mike,

I've had a degree of success this morning, before it started raining, as it inevitably does. I was able to get a vice grip onto the nut, jammed up against the hull, remove the screws and twist the top section . At this stage it is still resisting but I'm hopeful that some WD40 will loosen it off. Not sure how I plan to re-install it though - one thing at a time. I tried contacting JTR by email a couple of days ago without success. Cheers, Steve

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 08:52:48 PM »
Steve,
I, too have done the stanchion repair. Mine were in good shape so it was simply a re-bedding  project. My boat came with a thinwall deep 1 5/16 socket which was fine for the aft cabin, but too long for the ones in the v berth. I had to remove the paneling for access then used a set of vice grips. I also found a short socket at NAPA which helped. The bases were way to long, so I shortened them prior to re-installation and they were far enough from the hull to use the socket. I re-bedded with Boat Life and have had no leaks. You can find a set of thinwall light duty sockets at a plumbing store.
As I remember, the only way to reach the port one over the stairwell was to install an access panel in the cockpit. Some owners have added access doors there anyway. As I said, my stanchions were in excellent shape considering that the chain plates were dangerously close to failure. Check those carefully. I moved mine outboard to avoid the leaks and the problems.
These CSYs are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to find. However, considering the newer cheaper boats, we did pretty well.
Jules

stevesailing

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 11:38:38 PM »
Hi Jules, fortunately a previous owner (Roger Dance) moved the chain plates outboard, so that is one thing I don't have to worry about. Plenty of other flavours in the chocolate box though. Sounds like a trip to Bunnings (Australian home depot) for a thin walled socket might pay off. Cheers, Steve