Author Topic: Port side diesel tank not sending fuel  (Read 1682 times)

Brett

• View Profile
    • www.learntoliveaboard.com
  • Boat Type: 1979 CSY 44' WO
  • Boat Name: Kitty Hawk
Port side diesel tank not sending fuel
« on: November 15, 2015, 02:59:11 pm »
When we headed south this year, we noticed about two days in that our port side diesel tank wasn't using any diesel.  We usually have a small discrepancy between what comes from each tank but it is usually only a couple of gallons difference.  This time the port side tank used zero fuel the entire trip south so we just kept filling the starboard side tank till we arrived in Florida.  I assumed it was some sort of growth or blockage and set to change the Racor filters and see if I could purge the lines and maybe get a tank cleaning service to come to the boat.  Today while I was trying to figure out where the blockage was I put a manual diesel transfer pump on the port side tank fuel outlet and gave it a few pumps and it just moved air....is it possible that the fuel pickup hose has come loose from the fitting at the top of the tank and that's why we didn't get any diesel from that tank? I guess I assumed those were one piece brass  tubes that were welded to the outlet elbow at the top of the tank.....I reversed the hand pump and could see the air blowing on the surface of the diesel in the tank......anyone ever heard of the fuel pickup line becoming separated like this?  Thanks.....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:06:51 pm by Brett »

Brett

• View Profile
    • www.learntoliveaboard.com
  • Boat Type: 1979 CSY 44' WO
  • Boat Name: Kitty Hawk
Re: Port side diesel tank not sending fuel
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 04:08:21 pm »
As it turns out it wasn't a detached pickup line but a glob of sealant from when the access panel was replaced five years ago that must have fallen into the tank....it was lodged in the two way on off valve for the tank....mystery solved....