Author Topic: Fuel tank repair vs replacement  (Read 1805 times)

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Buckeye Queen
Fuel tank repair vs replacement
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »
Hello all,

I just took my original fuel tanks to be checked and cleaned. I t looks like one of them may need repaired or replaced.

I have a couple of questions to those of you that have been there before:

1.   Repair vs replace
2.   Any good contacts for vender to make the new tanks?
3.   Has anyone eliminated one tank and went with only one 100 gallon tank? I would like the extra room for a storage cabinet? After removing the starboard water tank I really could make good use of the extra room as well.

As always thanks for the help.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
Land Locked S/V Buckeye Queen

Thane

• View Profile
Re: Fuel tank repair vs replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 05:09:53 PM »
I installed a brand new aluminum tank in our 44 w/o. Actually it was one tank when I purchased it but the tank would not fit through the access in the cockpit so I cut it in half and made two tanks out of it. Fit perfectly and holds 105 gallons total.

I purchased the tank from Marine Connection Liquidators. http://www.themarineconnection.com
They are located in Fort Pierce, Florida. I paid $375 for it new. They had more than one in stock when I picked mine up.
Thane Gilliam
Heart of Gold
44 W/O

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
Thane,

Thanks for the info. I have been to Marine Liguidators many times and it is a great place. Was the new tank configured the same as our original tanks?

Thanks
Capt. Mike Zofchak

Thane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 06:17:21 PM »
The tank(s) fit perfectly. Like they were made to fit. I glassed in a lower support and glassed the tanks in.
Thane Gilliam
Heart of Gold
44 W/O

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »
I have decided to replace both fuel tanks in my 44 Walkover. One has some bad corrosion and pitting and the other is suspect as well. I found the original manufacturer of the tanks in Perry Florida. Their name is RDS Manufacturing formerly Aluminum Fabricated Products.

My questions are: Has anyone done business with them? Is $ 1600.00 a fair price for the 2 tanks? Are their any other fabricators available to make an exact match?

As always thanks for the anticipated help.

Mike Z.
Capt. Mike Zofchak

svsurprise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 11:05:55 AM »
I can't answer your question about whether or not it's a fair price.  However, I recently had a local (Beaufort NC) aluminum fabricator make a swim platform for me and he said he used to make fuel tanks but his insurance company learned of that and raised his rates exorbitantly.  So, it's likely they could be pretty expensive.  The local fabricator now has someone else make his tanks.  I would be happy to get an estimate if you send me the specifications.  One of my tasks over the holidays is to assess the condition of my four tanks, two of which haven't been used for awhile.  I may find I need a new tank too. 
Don