Author Topic: Refinishing the Square Hatches  (Read 1578 times)

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Refinishing the Square Hatches
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:07:52 PM »
The square hatches on the CSY, like fiberglass hatches on all vintage sailboats with the translucent center, tend to deteriorate in the center from the sun and the elements over the years.  Those of mine that were exposed to the sun got bleached out and the fibers got exposed.  A couple years ago, I gave them a light sanding and coated the centers with polyester resin.  That worked well for a couple years, but now the same thing is happening again.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows the trick to restore these hatches in a more permanent way.  I don't want to paint them or cover them with canvas because I like the light that comes thru them into the cabins.  Perhaps an epoxy resin or a clear awlgrip would work better and longer?  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks, Matthew

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: Refinishing the Square Hatches
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 07:02:28 AM »
Matthew,

We coated several of ours with a UV resistant clear acrylic 4 years ago and they are doing fine.  Try googling that or talking to a good paint company.  I think clear acrylic is what you want.  Will do the rest soon.

Epoxy and Polyester are not the right stuff in heavy UV exposure.

Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Re: Refinishing the Square Hatches
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:17:09 AM »
Thanks, Dave.  I'll give it a try.  You're right that the polyester resin (un-coated) just doesn't hold up for long in the Florida sun.  Matthew