Author Topic: Storing RIB on Deck on 44 WO  (Read 3509 times)

Bill Bischoff

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Odyssey
Storing RIB on Deck on 44 WO
« on: May 23, 2015, 12:00:22 pm »
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to do the Baja Bash, sailing from La Paz, Mexico, back to the USA.  Normally I hang my RIB (Caribe 10X) from davits on the arch.  Since this is bashing into wind and waves I want to bring the dinghy aboard.  Have any of you done this with the staysail boom in place?  I'm wondering if there is room.  I will be back on the boat this week.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and cheers, Bill
Odyssey, 1979 44 WO
Lying La Paz, BCS

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: Storing RIB on Deck on 44 WO
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »
Bill,

We just got back from travelling and are trying to get through our email.

Dave says he doesn't think it's possible because of the sheet arrangement (assuming you have the standard traveller on the deck arrangement).  That's right in the middle of where the dinghy would go.

We were trying to think of who we knew who still had the staysail boom and who was doing blue water cruising.  The two we thought of were Kitty Hawk (now owned by Brett) and Tiger Lilly, but we can't remember for sure either way.  Also maybe Tackless II (now owned by someone in Australia).

Soggy Paws has a loose-footed staysail, our track has been removed, and the dinghy fits well on the foredeck.  The davits (no matter how strong they are) aren't a good place for a dinghy when you're going to sea.  Not only because having that much weight hanging at the far end of the boat impacts boat performance, but also I know of cases where the davits fell down under the shock loads and/or the dinghy was damaged due to chafe.

This is another good reason to get rid of the club foot boom for the stay sail, use a loose footed stay sail and then run the sheets and furling line away from where the dinghy will fit on your cabin top.  An option for just your trip might be to set the dinghy in the walkway port or starboard of the cabin and lash it down tight.  But make sure it is tightly tied down and protected from chafe from the deck and fittings.  Good luck.

Sherry

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:27:56 am by Soggy Paws »
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

dawnsmartin

• View Profile
    • Sailblogs: SV Firefly
  • Boat Name: Firefly
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:50:19 pm »
Hi Bill,

I agree with Sherry, I don't think your RIB is going to fit under the staysail boom. Before my dad (Tiger Lilly) changed out their staysail boom for roller furling, we put our ginormous hard dinghy on the aft deck. In order to do that, he had to re-route the main sheet lead to the starboard side. But then the dinghy slid under the boom gallows, between the two sides of the main sheet, with the nose of the dinghy pointing out the back. Even then, the stern hung over the cockpit by about 6 inches. Without rerouting the main sheet, I'm not sure this would work with a RIB.

Dawn
S/V Firefly, Hull #144
San Diego, CA
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svfirefly/

svsurprise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 04:13:20 pm »
It's a good question and I will someday be having the same problem.  But just looking at Yachtworld there was a picture of a CSY somewhere in Italy I think that had an inflatable dinghy, not a RIB mind you, stored under the staysail.  It has me wondering if by raising the staysail boom and perhaps partially deflating the RIB that it might fit.  Of course it all depends on the length of the dinghy and whether or not it interferes with the traveler as others have mentioned.  I hope to get out to the Cape this weekend and will measure and perhaps do a trial fit.  Don

Brett

• View Profile
    • www.learntoliveaboard.com
  • Boat Type: 1979 CSY 44' WO
  • Boat Name: Kitty Hawk
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:33:56 pm »
Our 9' AB fits under the staysail boom....it just has to hang over off the cabin top obstructing the forward hatch....not like that would be open offshore anyway.....I do let about half the air out and use 18'  clam straps to secure it to the deck.....

Bill Bischoff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 11:18:08 am »
Hi everyone,
just got back from 3 weeks aboard in Mexico.  I believe that the dinghy might fit under the staysail boom if it is raised and pulled to one side.  I'm returning to Mexico on Tuesday to get ready for the bash, so I will figure something out.  I'll take pictures of my final set up.

Thanks and cheers, Bill
Odyssey, 1979 44 WO
Lying La Paz, BCS

Bill Bischoff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 11:11:55 am »
Hi folks,
I finished the "Bash" last week, taking 12 days to do 1100 miles, with about 3 1/2 days of stopping along the way.  Odyssey worked flawlessly, and I only had to change filters while underway once (2:00am in very confused seas).  Anyway, I solved the RIB on the foredeck problem by detaching the lower blocks for my staysail traveler and attaching them to my port caprail.  everything snugged up nicely and then the RIB nestled between the two opening hatches in the main salon.  The only catch is that you lose the ventilation of those two hatches, as well as the forward head hatch.

Glad to be home. and Odyssey is now for sale.  Check her out!

Cheers, Bill
Odyssey, 1979 44 WO
Lying La Paz, BCS