Author Topic: Fresh Water Pump - To accumulator or not???  (Read 1654 times)

MamaAboard

• View Profile
    • Mama Aboard Blog
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Morning Star
Fresh Water Pump - To accumulator or not???
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »
Hello Everyone, We just moved aboard to our 1980 CSY 44 WT in January 2015.  So far we absolutely love it!  Especially our 4 yr old.  We have lots to do, especially with all the leaks.  Well one more thing got added to our list - Our water pump failed today so NO water Pressure...... :o

We are looking at the different systems out there and see there are systems that do not need the accumulator (which we have). 

Is one better than the other?  What are the Pro's / Con's.
What Make/Model do you recommend? 

At this time we do not know the make/model of what we have as it is behind the water heater (which is currently hot).  Just trying to get information so we can make an informative decision.  This is our first time living aboard.  In the past just chartered and had the luxury of not worrying about these things   :P

RHoodJr

• View Profile
Re: Fresh Water Pump - To accumulator or not???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Congratulations to your move.

I  can't comment on the actual pumps but I can say that a accumulator will increase your pump service by not cycling the water pump every time you open a faucet.  You can purchase accumulators or even fabricate one out of 4 inch pvc pipe and a few fittings.  I have even seen instructions to build one online.  The accumulator is a good investment in any pressure water system.  It will easily pay for itself as it saves amps and pumps.

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:18:08 AM »
An accumulatOr is a good idea. it keeps the water pump from cycling. It can extend the life of the water pump and keep you from going crazy as you hear the water pump go on and off all day. That said, the accumulator does not have to be in any one place in the water line. It just has to be plugged into the water line. You need to make sure its not in a place that will cause the hot water heater to backfeed. But other than that it can be anywhere I usually just put it under the floorboards of the boat and plumb it into the cold water line.

you can have more than one and accumulator. it does not have to be a marine accumulator. I found the ones from Lowes or Home Depot work fine.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

MamaAboard

• View Profile
    • Mama Aboard Blog
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Morning Star
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  We did go with an accumulator and all so far is working great.  And less noisy!