Author Topic: Leaks & Stanchions  (Read 1635 times)

Doug Paddock

• View Profile
Leaks & Stanchions
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:14:56 PM »
We bought our CSY 44 in 2011 and have been cruising full time since 2012 in the Caribbean.  The persistent leaks are wearing on us.  Most of our problems seem to be with the stanchions and cap rail.  The stanchions are in horrible shape.  And I know that water is penetrating around some of them and the cap rail is rotten in their immediate proximity.

I have read posts on where owners have pulled and replaced the cap rail.  Most of my rail appears good except around the stanchions. Could I just pull the stanchions and replace pieces of the wood that is bad.

If I replace all my stanchions, would I need to replace them with the same design, in particular the bolt through the hull deck joint?

Could a source of my leaks also be where the caulking has deteriated between the hull/deck and the cap rail. Could cleaning out the old caulk and replacing be enough?

I'd appreciate any insights you'd share.

Thanks!

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
Re: Leaks & Stanchions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:37:22 PM »
Doug,
Been there done that. My 1981 WO had the same issues as do most CSYs, if the owners are truthful. The problem: these boats are 34+ years old. The caprails were put down with 1/4 20 sheet metal screws, covered by bungs, and 5200. Over the years, movement and aging occurs and leaks develop. I think you will find that the chainplates are a major source of the leaks and not the stantchions. The problem is that the chainplates flex INWARD under sail and are hard to keep beded. That's the naked truth.
My fix, time consuming. I pulled up all the caprails and put down Beneteau aluminum toe rails over the entire boat. Also pulled out the chainplates and mounted straps externally. I am retired and could devote the time to the project. The result: Absolutely NO LEAKS, even in a monsoon. Well worth the effort.
These are great boats and well worth the effort. I am in the yard now for painting and a bottom job. No blisters and solid as a rock. So, keep the faith baby. If you are willing to put in the effort, you will have a gem of a cruising vessel.

Doug Paddock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »
Thanks Jules. 

I replaced the chainplates after survey when I bought it and installed them on the hull. 

Yours and Dave's solution is the only sure fix.  I just hate to devote the time and money at this stage of our cruising to do it.

I may try to replace the stanchions and bow pulpit.  When I pull them, replace any bad wood and try to caulk as a half-way solution.

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:12:11 PM »
Try pulling the 4 screws on the plate of the sanction, drill out the hole a little, and then fill the hole by inserting the caulk tube tip far into the screw hole and really push the caulk into th e hole. Get someone to put their former over the inside if the screw penetrated the fiberglass (all mine were this way). The trick is to force the caulk in between the rail and the hull. Use 3M 4000 (it is a caulk vs an adhesive). Clean up with paper towels and DissolveIt (ACE Hardware).
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:10:34 PM »
Doug,

I agree with Jules re the chain plates and stanchions.  It is not difficult to pull up the cap rail though more so if you try to keep it intact.  It is about a two day project.

All the steps I used to replace our cap rail with pics are on our website under Workshop/Deck if you are interested in doing that.

Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm