Author Topic: staysail hardware  (Read 1738 times)

stevesailing

staysail hardware
« on: January 10, 2015, 11:02:17 PM »
Hi All,

On Beaujolais one of the stoppers on the track for the staysail has broken and is now not able to be moved, limiting control over the sail. I'm hoping that I'll be able to retain most of the fittings and just replace the stopper (after removing the track to get the stopper off). The problem I have is that there aren't any identifying brand names on the fittings. If anyone can identify them that would be much appreciated.

I've attached an image of the car/stopper and track.

regards,

Steve

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: staysail hardware
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:17:46 PM »
Hi Steve,

Just saw your post.  Did you get your stopper lose yet?  PB Blaster should do the trick if you haven't tried it yet.  The SS pin has probably welded itself to the alum track using salt for the glue.

Your stopper looks just like ours and is standard issue.  Most of the blocks and deck hardware are Schaefer so I would guess the stopper is also.  If I were you I would contact Schaefer to see if they can lead you to a source if you can't get it loose.  Also, I have seen many of those in used Marine stores around Fl like Sailorman and Don's Salvage.

Pls let us know how it comes out.

Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

stevesailing

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 03:06:29 AM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that information. I'll give Schaefer a go and try the others you mentioned (although I'm in Melbourne - Australia, so it might be more difficult) . I've put that project on hold for the moment as I'm fully engaged with fridge replacement. I expect you're right regarding the salt glue, however at some point in the past someone applied sufficient force to the fitting to break the top off leaving nothing to get hold of to lift the pin.

cheers,

Steve

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
Call sailors exchange in st Augustine. They usually have these.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it