Author Topic: LED Lighting  (Read 2008 times)

peterp

• View Profile
LED Lighting
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »
My stepdad has a CSY33, and for Christmas I was going to get him replacement LED bulbs for all of the interior fixtures. However, I cannot find documentation on what bulb sizes I need to get. Are these standard, and is there a document somewhere that lists them?

Thanks!

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Re: LED Lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
Hi Peter,

That's a nice thoughtful gift for your Dad.  Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as it sounds.  Since the boat is 30+ years old, even if there was documentation on what was shipped with the boat, there's no guarantee that that is still the case.

Electrical stuff is the first thing to go in the marine environment.  And upgrades to lighting are common to reduce heat and amp draw.  First with flourescents and now with LED's.

So you really need to do an inventory of what's there.  If they are standard 12v bayonet mount bulbs (like what used to be overhead in your car), you can easily find replacement bulbs, and maybe someone here can provide a link for you.

We had a lot of failures when we first went with LED bulbs.  We found they were expensive and failed frequently.

What we ended up doing on our boat was buying these (for most of the fixtures).

G4 Ultra 9xHP SMD 12-24VDC

or you might take a look at these, they have more LED's for less price (probably newer model of same thing we bought in 2011)

G4 19 LED Light 10-24VDC

Then you open the light up, cut off the "holder" for the old bulb, and wire in these things directly, secured with a dab of hot glue or something.  Not as clean as buying your stepdad a handful of bulbs for sure.  But maybe cheaper and maybe better bulbs (the words "current controlled" on the descriptions is important, because the boat voltage can fluctuate a lot).

Make sure you get the WARM WHITE color.  The non-warm white is glaringly white.

We have also replaced our flourescent lights with strips of LED lights.

Maybe someone else will come back with a easy link for you.

Googling "12v bayonet mount" I came up with this link:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/bayonet-bulbs/

But you still need to figure out what your (most common) light fixtures are before you buy, and what the socket is.  Also one more warning from these cheap LED places... most are in Hong Kong and delivery is not 3-5 day as you'd expect.

Good luck.

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Rhapsody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:49:20 AM »
LED lights, been there, done that.
Replaced all interior and exterior bulbs with LED.
The interior lights are all a mixed bag. The 6 "lampetes" with regular looking screw-in bulbs were about $5 a piece at West Marine, when I replaced them with LED bulbs, the price jumped to $25 a piece. Like Sherry said, make sure you get soft white for the cabin, not bright white. (The 1 exception to that rule was over my bunk, needed a bright reading light there as I would read for hours at night, no stinking TV on that boat:)
The other bulbs I replaced was either bayonet type in the galley lights, or I purchased complete fixtures with the same foot print as the old ones, the benefit was I could switch from white to red Light with a 3 position switch, those things were made by Mr. LED and cost about $110 each.
Then the chart table and other lights.
All together the interior conversion to LED probably cost me $600 or so, but that was 6 or 7 years ago.
Prices have probably dropped quite a bit and the products have changed, but again, it takes more than a few bulbs, probably 3 or 4 different interior fixtures and bulbs on any CSY 33.
Good luck thought:)

peterp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I've done some work on this boat before, but I'm a couple thousand miles away right now. Have to see if I can get someone to sneak on board and get me pictures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_p/sets/72157627288499705/

RHoodJr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:21:55 PM »
I don't want to hi jack this thread but we have a couple of reading lamps that use a flourescent bulbs with a square base that has a two pin socket.  I have been looking for led replacements but can't seem to find any.  Anyone have any idea what to use?  I can't even find replacement flourescent bulbs.