Author Topic: 4JH4-TE and Maxprop issue  (Read 2474 times)

Yourtruenorth1

• View Profile
4JH4-TE and Maxprop issue
« on: September 08, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »
I have a 6 year old Yanmar 4JH4-TE and a 24" Maxprop. I did bottom paint in the end of June and yard serviced Maxprop. Since then, I have had black transome soot mustache and seem to have lost some speed. Mechanic advised me that prop was over propped, so I called the yard and asked if they could check the settings and that maybe it didn't go on same as it came off. They agreed to. PYI, Maxprop's tech said with my engine and prop I should be pitched at 16 degrees. Mechanic swears I'm over propped and we should take to next setting which is 14 degrees. Has anyone had similar issue or same configuration that knows their settings? This is going to cost a yard haul and block now that they had it on the manufacturer's recommended setting.

Any ideas why else I might be blowing black smoke and losing a bit of power?

Steve

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »
Hi Capt. Steve,

I don't have a maxprop or your Yanmar engine, nor do I know if you used the maxprop before you hauled out.  I may be able to offer some tips that could help.  Aside from the issue of your maxprop, black smoke is caused from the following factors which should be checked first to your satisfaction:  dirty fuel, plugged air filter, plugged exhaust, kink in exhaust hose, excessively high ambient air temperature, plugged turbo, (not sure if your engine has a turbo), defective injectors, injection timing advanced or delayed, too much fuel injected, engine overload, over propped, rope caught in your propeller, over-sized propeller, heavily fouled bottom, how about a over tightened stuffing box?  Some of the modern engines with a turbo have a smoke limiter and that could possibly be defective.  Aside from the prop being reconditioned, were any of these things changed or worked on while your boat was out of the water?

I know you can rule some of these things out immediately since you just came out of the boatyard.  Once you have ruled out the engine issues, try running the engine in neutral at high speed and look to see if there is any black smoke.  If there is black smoke, then it's an engine problem.  If there is no black smoke, try running the engine at high speed in forward at the dock with good spring lines and look for black smoke.  If there is black smoke while in forward, them it's probably an issue with the prop being too large or the prop settings or the stuffing box being too tight and putting a strain on the engine.

Good Luck,
Matthew

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:19:57 AM »
Add engine out of alignment to Matt's list.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

Dream Ketcher

• View Profile
Re: 4JH4-TE and Maxprop issue
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »
I have the 4JH4-HTE engine 24" Max prop

Question is will the engine come up to full RPM my engines is 3200 RPM

If the engine will not come up to full RPM the Prop is most likely over pitched.

I had to have my prop repitched after repower twice to get it right.

This can be done by a good diver. 

Yourtruenorth1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Dream Ketcher are you by chance in a CSY 44 w/o? I'm assuming by your screen name probably not. Do you know what settings your diver finally ended up on for the "x" and "y"?

Dream Ketcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:38:09 AM »
Sorry that I have not been around.... I have a CSY44PHK  Pilothouse Ketch Same hull as the W/O but with a Pilothouse.  I also have been battling soot on the stern.  Having cruised form Seattle to Alaska and back the last 4 years still fighting soot on my stern.